I'm having a bit of trouble setting up a basic web server in my VMMware Fusion linux

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Sep 25, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi there,

So I have a webserver running on linux in VMWare fusion. When i'm inside of VMWare fusion, I can access it by typing

localhost:8001

in the browser window. I read that all I should need to do is point my OS X browser to the [machine's IP address]:8001 in order to acess the same server, but Safari isn't hitting anything. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm getting the IP address by using the "ifconfig" command in linux. Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

What kind of network connection do you have it on? Host only / NAT / etc? the only thing I can think is the mac doesn't know how to route to it? Have you tried a ping or anything of the sort?

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Almost certainly a firewall issue - you'll need to open port 8001.

4. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

but if he is doing it from the host he's hosting it on, he shouldn't have to bother with the firewall, I wouldn't think.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No, the Linux firewall will prevent all incoming connections by default even on guest OSs.

6. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Good point. I hadn't thought about the guest firewall. :D

7. step21 macrumors member

like the first poster said, before anything else what type of network configuration did you choose for vmware? Because for example NAT is the easiest to set up if you don't need incoming connections, but if you want to access the server from the outside, it won't work, so make sure you choose another option. Also it would be nice to know what kind of Linux you are trying to run. I wouldn't worry too much about the firewall, if you installed the web server correctly the install process probably included opening the firewall.