I'm having problems using an external monitor with my first-gen MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stewster, Nov 28, 2009.

1. stewster Guest

Hi everyone, I've been trying to get an external monitor to run at native resolution with my first-gen MacBook, but I'm having a really strange problem. I'm running with a Samsung T220HD LCD TV/monitor and a 2.16ghz white MacBook. I have the Samsung monitor plugged in through a mini-DVI to VGA connector and then a VGA cable to the monitor. I have all the system preferences set up properly, and I am not mirroring the display. I wanted the second monitor so I could get more screen real estate while I work on some projects or so I can watch stuff on the second display while I use my computer.

The monitor works and all, but the problem is that when I try to set it to its native resolution (1680 x 1050), the display on the second monitor is shifted an inch and a half upwards. I can tell because when I plug in the monitor and open Microsoft Word, the top ribbon with all menu options is completely off screen and I have to reach past the edge of the display to pull it down so I can see it. The bottom inch and a half is also completely black and does not allow my mouse to reach past it. I searched the forum for a bit to see if anyone else had this problem but I couldn't find a thread. If anyone can help me solve this problem it would be great. At lower resolutions (1360 x 768 in particular), the display properly takes up the whole screen but then text becomes fuzzy and makes it difficult to work with. Thanks in advance!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

After connecting over VGA, have you tried using the tools in the monitor's on-screen adjustments menu to either run "Auto Adjust" or something of that sort...or even shifting the picture with the vertical adjustment settings (to move the picture up and down)?

3. stewster thread starter Guest

I've tried that, manual adjustment only allows me to bring it down maybe 10 pixels, and auto adjustment brings it back to where it was to begin with. Thanks anyway though.

4. stewster thread starter Guest

Does anyone else have any ideas, or has come across this problem? Suggestions would be much appreciated thanks..

5. GeekAtBirth macrumors member

GeekAtBirth

This has happened to me. When I turn my monitor on to its native res, the menubar is chopped in half. This worked for me, I turned my second display into a non native res, then turn back to the native res. Then everything worked out. Good Luck!

6. vaccumbags macrumors newbie