I'm having the hardest time trying to find a white 32 iphone 3G S!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nihao1234, Jul 18, 2009.

1. nihao1234 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I've decided on my flavor of iphone: the white, 32 gig, 3g s. However, all the apple stores, at&t stores, and best buys around me (CT) are bone dry of JUST that model!

Do you guys have any tips on how to scout for one? I don't want to order online, as I prefer the face to face interaction of setting up my att account (I'm porting from verizon).

I know I can fill out some of my info online so that when I go to buy the phone in the apple store it would be a breeze...however, would they let you reserve a phone online at a specific store through that same process?

as well, where do I stand my best chance of snagging a 32 white 3g s?

Any tips would be appreciated ;)

Thanks!

2. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Have you tried calling further out than just around you and have a little weekend roadtrip if possible. Other than that, I guess just keep calling the store to see when they get what you want in OR have them call you (if they will) when your White 32GB comes in.

Good luck in the hunt!

3. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

4. nihao1234 thread starter macrumors member

jayden, what aspect of ordering online are you referring to?

as I said in my original post, I really would prefer to speak with an ATT or apple representative when I make the purchase and set up the plan.

however, are you referring to the idea that i can order online and pick it up in a store? is that possible?

thanks!

5. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

I was really referring to online. You could then bring the product in the store to finish it up.

You can also do the same as you mentioned, I've heard 2-4 nears me before they are in. You would have to go into the store and place a direct fulfillment order with the AT&T store rep.

My honest opinion (having worked for AT&T for almost four years), do it all online. Saves the hassle and pain. If you have issues, then go into a store or call.

6. TLewis macrumors 65816

Wow, that's pretty ... unlucky. :D (Sorry, but the 32GB white iPhone was available for quite some time -- it was the 16Gb that was often out-of-stock -- but now it seems to have changed. :( )

For future reference, just use this link for Apple stores:

7. lavinci macrumors 6502

Try taking a tiny road trip out of state to do so.

8. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Really? I was told when I purchased my 3GS 32GB white (on Thursday of this week) that it was not selling nearly as much as the others and that it could be the "ugly cousin" (although the AT&T rep told me he preferred the white).

I had a 16GB white 3G and now this 32GB white 3GS and I never had problems obtaining either.

9. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

It just wasnt ment to be.

Go with black, it's better anyways:p

10. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

11. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

Do you have Apple Stores nearby? Because you can do what Apple calls 'reserve in store', and just go and pick it up there, and they'll set it up for you.

12. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I don't think walmart has the 3GS yet. Last time I was there they only had the 3G.

13. nihao1234 thread starter macrumors member

Oh, please elaborate! Out of all the places I've called, and all the pages on the apple website that I've searched, there is no mention of this service!

How does it work? Do I just call them and have them reserve it for me by just telling them to? Or do I fill out the order form online, with my plan and everything, and then they'll call me when they have one?

14. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

Online! Go to the Apple Store on Apple.com. Click on the iPhone 3Gs picture, then it'll direct you to another page, where you'll click 'Get Started'. Then, you can choose if you are a new or existing AT&T customer- you are a new one, and continue from there. At the end, you should get the choice to buy online, or reserve it in the nearest, or whichever you choose, Apple Store. I really hope this helps you.

15. nihao1234 thread starter macrumors member

Interesting...I just called the apple store asking about their availability. When they said they didn't have any in stock, I asked the question, "if I fill out all my credit card + plan information, will it give me the option to reserve a phone in the store?" The guy said that they do not reserve phones, period.

So who is right here? Can we reserve phones or not online?

16. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It may give you the choice to reserve but if they do have some, it will be sold on first come, first serve meaning someone wanting to buy an iPhone in the store may be offered your reserve since they are there to buy one on the spot.

17. thecellar macrumors regular

I know its your choice and i respect that, but whats the big deal about ordering online....Ordering online or going to an apple store: the only difference is that you will type in the minute and text plan you want if you order online, they really dont do anything for you at the apple store, i think its quit a hassle to deal with them when getting an iphone. I wish they would just see if your eligible, give it to you and check you out.

18. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

Where are you? That might be your problem. Maybe not all stores do it. I just know that mine does, in the Woodlands, here in Texas.

19. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

They do have the 3GS, that's where I got mine. Go here and you will see that Wal-Mart sells them. http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/ They've had it since launch.

20. nihao1234 thread starter macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd give an update-

I called the apple store today to ask about white 32 gig availability, and they said they had about a dozen left. When I finally got down to the store 2 hours later and asked about their stock, the kind concierge said there were none left.

I was discouraged, but decided to buy the black one anyways...

...and as I was completing my purchase, the guy that was helping us out said he found a couple white ones in the back!

So I walked out of the store a very happy camper with my first-ever iPhone.

Aah, I'm so excited! Thanks for all the help!

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

Congrats!

22. lavinci macrumors 6502

Congrats man. You could always have the box and receipt in your car just in case you can exchange it for white if they have it in stock again.

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's cool; finally, in the right place at the right time....:p:p:p

24. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Rogers in Canada is reporting they are sold out across canada of all iPhone 3GS models. However, the few apple stores we have seem to have some in semi regularly. Not all models though.