I'm having trouble dowloading FCP X trial and iOS 5.1 for iphone, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snerkler, Mar 8, 2012.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

For the last 2 days I've been trying to download the free trial of FCP X but have been unable to. I enter my details and it takes me to the thank you page saying my download will start shortly, if not click here. On safari nothing happens (even if I click "here") and I'm just stuck on this page
    [​IMG]

If I use google chrome I get this saying the webpage is unavailable
    [​IMG]

Also, if I try to download iOS 5.1 for the iphone I get the pop up saying "contacting the iphone software update server" and it just gets stuck on this.
    [​IMG]

Any idea why this is happening?

P.S. I've checked the downloads folder and it hasn't already downloaded.

The iphone won't update direct from the phone either.

2. jojoba macrumors 68000

I don't know about the first issue but the IOS update appears to be an overloaded server issue. Lots of people are having this problem today. I think you just need to try again tomorrow or the day after.

3. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I've just been on with Apple telephone support and they're not sure why it won't download either. 3 apple people have tried it using the same steps as myself and all theirs have worked OK. I was advised to right click the "here" link and save linked file. This at least sent the download to the safari download button on the menu bar but it all it did was say preparing for download and never actually downloaded.

I tried downloading other things such as adobe flash player from adobe.com, and CCleaner from the app store and they downloaded without an issue.

The only thing Apple can think is that it's a regional server issue and due to the high demand on the apple servers at the moment due to iOS 5.1, and I've got to keep trying over the next few days. If still no joy it's back on the phone I go. I do know that my broadband connection is pretty poor. I'm with Sky where you can get up to 8M but I currently only get about 1.8M :(

4. simsaladimbamba

Tried downloading the FCP X trial from the US site yet? I had no trouble starting the download there.

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, tried that too :confused:

6. simsaladimbamba

A minute before I made that post, I could do it.
    Maybe try another browser or restart your modem or router?

7. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

So try a 3rd browser? Have already reset my router and that didn't fix it.

8. simsaladimbamba

Maybe. Maybe it is your location. I don't know. Or you just wait a day.

9. snerkler, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to think it IS my location, and am hoping that when everyone stops downloading iOS 5 it will work.

Edit: It doesn't work on firefox either.

10. xianman macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same issue as you in regards to upgrading to 5.1 from either of my home computers.

I was able to upgrade my iPhone yesterday from my work though with no problems, but still have two iPads and another phone to upgrade. I may take an iPad in today to see if it still works from there.

Steps I've tried at home include rebooting my Fios router, turning off all firewall protection on the router, tried turning on DMZ for one of my computers connected via ethernet - nothing works. I've also made sure to upgrade to the latest iTunes version and am on 10.7.3.

11. xianman macrumors newbie

Here's an interesting wrinkle. I found a direct link to Apple's servers for my wife's gen 2 Wifi iPad firmware (http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5/041-1539.20120307.JwD8A/iPad2,1_5.1_9B176_Restore.ipsw) and I cannot connect to it from my home. I ssh'd into my work computer though and it downloads just fine. I checked my hosts file on my home machines to be sure Apples servers didn't end up there somehow, and they are not. I am at a loss here.

12. xianman macrumors newbie

Well it turns out it's the dns server that my isp uses (Frontier Fios) that prevents me from contacting Apple's update servers. Changing my dns in my systems prefs to 8.8.8.8 fixed it up finally. Weird.

13. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would you mind explaining how you did this please so that I can try it, I know nothing about dns and where to find it and how to change it. If you need to know I have a sky router.

14. xianman macrumors newbie

Sure, just open up your System Prefs, then click on Network. Once there click the "Advanced..." button in the lower right, then click the DNS tab. Enter 8.8.8.8 in there and click OK, then be sure to click the Apply button. Now fire up iTunes and cross your fingers!

15. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are a genius, it's now downloading both FCP and iphone update. I can't thank you enough. What effect does changing the DNS have and are there any repercussions? Why the Apple 'experts' couldn't tell me this I don't know? :confused:

16. xianman macrumors newbie

A DNS server is the service that translates domain names (eg. www.apple.com) into IP addresses. There are a number of public DNS servers available outside of the ones that your ISP provides, in this case 8.8.8.8 is operated by Google. I'm unaware of any repercussions to using it, so have at it!

17. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK thanks. Hopefully I can still play COD on my PS3 ;) I never gave it a thought before, but I never took a note of the old DNS in case I do run into any issues, do you have any idea if/where I can find my old DNS server info? Just to remind you I'm with sky.

18. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've just been looking into the google dns to try and familiarise myself with it, but unfortunately it's raised more questions than answers. This page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS) shows 2 dns's for IPv4 and 2 for IPv6. What's the difference between the 2 IPv4's and what's the difference between IPv4 and IPv6? As far as I can find out IPv6 will be replacing IPv4 over time, does this mean that at some point my internet will stop working if I remain on the 8.8.8.8 IPv4 dns?

19. Mac2012 macrumors regular

Because they didn't KNOW his ISP was a POS! You pay for the service, then they shouldn't police their default DNS!

20. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't understand this. What do you mean by POS, and what do you mean about paying for a service and policing their DNS? :confused:

21. xianman macrumors newbie

This change won't affect your PS3 at all, it will continue to use whatever DNS it has in the past. And chances are to use your old DNS you can just delete the 8.8.8.8 entry from the DNS tab in your system prefs and the computer will use whatever DNS server your router is pointed to.

22. xianman macrumors newbie

You can add multiple DNS entries if you want, if one is unavailable the next one will be used. As for IPv6, I honestly don't know much about it, but according to this website, it appears it won't be a problem.

23. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your replies, you've been a great help :)

24. xianman macrumors newbie

He means piece of ****, and he's assuming that our ISPs are purposely blocking Apple's update servers. Why would they do that? I have no idea, maybe the millions of users trying to access it in the past few days flagged it automatically for some reason? Anyone have any other ideas?

25. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh right. Well I don't know why an ISP would block it, especially one as well known/established as Apple. As you say the excessive usage might have flagged up as abnormal and therefore blocked off :confused: