I'm having trouble getting started

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Simmons, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Simmons macrumors newbie

Hey guys, you may or may not have seen my posts around here before. As you probably already know, I am having trouble getting started developing on the iPhone. I just don't know what it is. Maybe it is that this is my first programming language. I have read a lot on Objective-C and whatnot. I really don't know what my problem is. Could you guys point me in the right direction by the way of your experience in the field?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Get yourself a book, and go through examples, and do it again, and again. Then do it one more time. You're not going to get it over night, or over a week, or a few months. It takes lots and lots of time.

3. Simmons thread starter macrumors newbie

Book wise, what path do you recommend I take?

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I don't have any recommendations, but search around here, there are a few threads on the subject.

5. scan macrumors 6502

I used the iPhone book from the Pragmatic Programmers series to get me started. I really liked it.

With that said, I don't know how anyone could get into iPhone development as their first language. I have a CompSci degree and a developer so the learning curve wasn't too bad (although, still took some time). Just my opinion, anyone who wants to learn to develop for the iPhone should first learn C, then learn OO principles, then learn Obj-C, then learn iPhone/Mac development.