im here! lots of ???'s

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deldakota, Dec 31, 2007.

1. deldakota macrumors newbie

hi! just bought a new imac 20, this is my first mac, had gateways forever with no real complaints.(on it now), id like to start off with, what do i need to do to to get up and running? whats the first things i need to do when i hook it up? is this imac a true plug and play? there will be 4 of us useing the imac (family), so can everyone have their own account?i will start off with a administrator first i guess. thanks for you feedback, sure i will have plenty of ??'s...

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Get up and running? Just turn the computer on. More or less everything you could need is already on the computer. Get familiar with iLife, it's a great set of programs.
    You can have as many accounts as you want.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Seconded! If there's a more useful guide for new Mac users, I don't know what it is.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

A) in plug it
    B) on turn it
    C) begin right away da cliking you can uhhuhohyeauhhuh
    D) Das rodentia fear not, best friend yours it will become

6. deldakota thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your answers! its still in box though! deciding whether i want to take back and exchange for the model with wirless mouse/keyboard!?

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Just to add a comment about "The missing manual" book - I just bought mine last night and have read through a lot of the sections of interest to me - wow, this book is really thorough in its coverage :)

I'll be a new (first time) Mac owner in about 2 weeks, and this book is answering every little question I have (many of them even about the UNIX underpinnings!)

Very very cool - whichever Mac you end up with (wireless keyboard is good, unless you like to use the keypad, as there isn't one on the wireless model), get that book :)

-Bryan

8. deldakota thread starter macrumors newbie

im on the mac!....HEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......think i made a big mistake!!! im so freakiing lost im getting ready to shoot this thing!!!!!!! i signed on, cant get my master name open, so i cant delet or add anything!!!! what is the name will it be ****.mac or ****.apple what the hell!!!!!

9. RaceJunkie macrumors regular

Save your money and go for the Cordless Desktop® S 530 Laser for Mac® (combo) No Keyboard on the wireless mac and I believe you still have only one button. (What in the hell was Apple thinking there?) Do a product search on Google I found mine new for about $50.00 and love it..

I just switched to a Mac 2 weeks ago and believe me you have made no mistakes. Calm down and tell everyone what exactly you are trying to do.

When you first set up your Mac it asked you to create a password for your User Name. Is this what you are referring to?

10. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

deep breath....and breathe... in.....hooooo....out.....heeeeeee.....and repeat.
    you cant mess up a mac.

11. deldakota thread starter macrumors newbie

yes! i entered a administator name and password,but when i try to open it says password does not match??..and i made no mistake with it..also, if i want to use my aol email address, how do i use it without using aol? sorry bout all the ???..but im sure there will be more

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

Solution

1. Start from your Mac OS X 10.5 Install DVD. Note: You do not need to install Leopard again.

2. From the Utilities menu, choose Reset Password (do NOT choose Firmware Password Utility).

3. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset the root password (the root account is not the same as your account). Specifically: Select the name of the drive that Mac OS X is installed on, select the user named "System Administrator (root)" from the pop-up menu, type the password in the first field, re-enter the password in the second field, then click the Save button.
    4. Restart from your Mac OS X Leopard volume.

5. When the login window appears, select "Other..." and log in as the root user using the password that was created above.

6. Go to Accounts preferences and check (enable) "Allow user to administer this computer" for the affected user.

7. From the Apple menu, choose Log Out root....

8. Log in as the user account that had this issue. (Your account should now have administrator access.)

9. Use Directory Utility to disable the root user via Directory Utility's Edit menu. You may need to click the lock icon first).

13. deldakota thread starter macrumors newbie

man im PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this whole f'n imac thing sucks!!!!!!!! now it seems as though my aol email has gotten attached to the damn administrator f'n name that i cant open up!!!!!!!!!!!im so ready to due the elvis! and hook the f'n gateway back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Frisco macrumors 68020

So what's the latest?

15. mondesi43 macrumors regular

The biggest thing you need to learn about deleting....the delete button doesn't delete anything but text (I think). You have to drag your files into the trash (right side of the dock).

I switched in August. Won't go back. Period point blank. I have used our HP laptop <6 times since turning on my iMac. This forum is great for answers. So is the help menu. Be patient.....that's my advice. Once you learn the Mac keystrokes you'll be asking yourself why Windows does things the way it does.

Now to switch my wife over. Perhaps a MacBook later this summer :rolleyes: