I'm hooped aren't I?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Synergie, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Synergie macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4s has started random rebooting / kernel panics. I have been staying on iOS 5.0 waiting for the JB. If I have to restore now to try and fix this, I'm screwed aren't I? I will have to upgrade to 5.0.1 won't I?? :(

I read that this issue might actually be hardware related.... any insight? If so, I may have to exchange at Future Shop (where I got it) And any phones shipped now will have 5.0.1 anyway won't they?

Why do I feel like jail breaking is coming to an end?? (I'm not usually pessimistic but I don't see how I can stay back on 5.0 to JB when it comes out!) :(

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I know that blagged means robbed, but does hooped = screwed ?

If you restore now you are going to 5.0.1 period. You may still get lucky and get a 5.0 phone from a store.

3. labman, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

yep check urban dictionary.

caught in a situation that has no obvious solution
    We are kind of hooped because the guy to interview you doesn't come in to work for another two hours.
    by dp Jun 11, 2003 share this add a video
    2. hooped 46 up, 12 down

Screwed. An uncomfortable situation. In a bad situation that seems to have no way out. Comes from one of two meanings:

1) To have figuratively taken it up the ass (the hoop).

2) railway terminology where new (additional) work orders were passed along to a train crew. The orders were printed on paper, tied with string, and held up high on the end of a pole. The string had a loop for the trainman to lean out of the window of a moving train and aim his arm through the loop (hoop) to get the orders.
    "How you gonna explain that to your wife?"
    "I dunno man, I'm hooped."

Yardmaster: "Theres more work for you down the line."
    Conductor:"Damn, Why can't we tie up and go home?"
    Yardmaster: "I got the orders from above. I'll hoop them up to you."
    Trainman to Conductor after grabbing order successfully: "We're hooped"
    hooped screwed in a bad situation train railway term

that being said OP it seems your Hooped!
    i would try too exchange it if I were you.. too new to have issues.

4. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn! Guess I will keep inundating Apple suggestion emails requesting Lock Info be allowed in the App Store.

I've personally sent about 20 now (under different email addresses). Lock Info is my #1 reason for JBing and without it, I am just not getting to use the phone like I used to. I know realistically, it takes only 5 seconds longer to unlock and go into my calendar or swipe down but really its annoying so I just don't.

My prediction for Untethered JB for 5.0 on 4s is first few months of 2012... hate to see how long it takes for 4.1! :( and by the I may have to restore again for some other reason.

5. corruptfate macrumors newbie

there might be still hope for you, when I got my replacement iPhone from the apple store on Friday, mine came with 5.0

6. antisoma macrumors regular

I'm not convinced that there won't be an untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1 or even 5.0.2.

I know about pod2g's cautionary tweet but as far as I can tell the dev team (and associates) were working on an untethered jailbreak for 5.0 that didn't rely on the well publicized exploit that was fixed in 5.0.1.

It would be pretty poor if the eventual jailbreak required 5.0 given that anyone that buys a 4S now will have 5.0.1 installed as stock. Has there ever been a major jailbreak that didn't break the current firmware? I have only been jailbreaking since 3.1.3 so maybe before then? Or my memory is failing.

I can't find any definitive information either way.

7. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Agreed. If they release a jb that is 5.0-only then this place will explode with people asking/complaining about downgrading. Especially since it's looking like we still have quite a wait ahead of us before this jb even surfaces... Even though it's not the jailbreakers' fault (they warned us) the vast majority of people will be on a higher version by then and everyone will feel entitled to complain.

8. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

I couldn't exchange the iPhone.... just as an FYI to everyone in Canada: Future Shop's Extended warranty SUCKS! I sowed the panic.plist files to them, and was told that it needed to happen in front of them... they needed to see an actual spontaneous reboot in progress.. AFTER they restore (which would have put me to 5.0.1) And since this issue is random, happening maybe once a day or so.... I'd have to camp out all day at Future Shop while they waited for it to happen after they restored to factory. And if they had happened to look away to ring someone in or do other work and missed it... even the panic.plist file is still not good enough because they have to actually see it!

Apple is not much better since there are no places to bring it here... I'd have to mail it away, which I can't do. I don't have a land line and can't be without a phone.

So basically I AM hooped... kernel panics are usually hardware and I am stuck with a lemon now... anyone know where I can get a yellow case???