I'm hoping that special, scratch resistant aluminum will make it to the iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tresmith, Mar 20, 2015.

1. tresmith macrumors 6502

The aluminum in the sport watch is supposed to be a tougher and more scratch resistant and it should be used for the iphone as well.

I'm hoping they start using it for the iphone.

Any chance of that happening?

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Just as much of a chance as the claims that this generation of Gorilla Glass is near unbreakable and scratch proof being true.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Aluminum is not a very durable metal and it will get scratched. The is no Apple magic here.

It is light and malleable which is why it is used to make the body and wings of aircraft. Stainless is much more resistant to the scratches and dings.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Scratch resistant does not mean unscratchable. Any material harder than another material will scratch the other material.

5. meistervu macrumors 65816

We are talking about bond at molecular level here so I don't think aluminum added to glass has similar property as aluminum, the same way diamond is much harder than a lump of coal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

6. RenoDavid macrumors newbie

Well, Apple is saying that they've developed a very special and new aluminum alloy for the Apple Watch. They even have made a video explaining the special properties of the new alloy.

In their words:

"For Apple Watch, we created a new alloy of 7000 Series aluminum that’s 60 percent stronger than standard alloys. Yet it’s very light. Together with the Ion-X glass covering the display, it makes the Sport collection watches up to 30 percent lighter than our stainless steel models. It’s also exceptionally pure, with a beautifully consistent appearance that’s difficult to achieve with traditional aluminum alloys."

7. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

LOL @ Apple 'creating' a new alloy. (They should have just used Titanium and been done with it. But that wouldn't have been 'magical' I guess.)

All Apple did was slightly alter the zinc and magnesium percentage content to aluminium, just like the other 600+ registered variations of aluminum alloys on file today.

----------

Transparent aluminium FTW

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

We will see soon. But Apple is pulling a marketing thing on those who think they have made aluminum a special way where is will not scratch. There will be some very disappointed people here. Even the stainless will scratch and it is many time harder. I wore stainless Rolex watches for many years and they would get scratched so I could not imagine an aluminum cased watch not getting beat up after six months use. Wearables get a lot of abuse.

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

I see. I misread the post. We are talking about an aluminum alloy metal for the body, not aluminum oxynitride for the screen.

I have mountain bike handlebar that is made out of an anodized aluminum alloy. It's pretty tough. Stainless steel is more scratch resistant, but is much heavier. Neither would survive drops without scratches. Therefore I would rather have a lighter aluminum alloy that is reasonably hard, than a heavier stainless steel body that is harder.

10. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Even the strong aluminum alloys will still gouge/scratch. I have quite a bit of 6061-T6 armor on my Jeep, while very strong it will still gouge when you drag over rocks. Not really an issue when your talking 3/16" to 1/4" thickness, would takes years of extreme abuse to be any real issue.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

We are talking cosmetics here when it come to he phone or watch. It will all be way under 1/4" but rocks should not come into play. :p

12. kdarling, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

This. Like everything else, it's just marketing by using information that the common person wouldn't know (or bother to look up).

Even within just the 7000 series of aluminum alloys, strength can vary between 40 kpsi and 80 kpsi, so it's easy to come up with one that's "60% stronger than standard alloys (*)". In fact, that'd be less strong than many already available alloys.

(*) Unlike the video, in one Apple web page, it doesn't even use the word "alloy", but instead says that it's "60 percent stronger than most aluminum." Gee, that's even easier to do. The most common aluminum is the 6000 series, which starts at around 17 kpsi for tensile strength.

13. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

When I created this thread, I was never under the impression that this new aluminum was "scratch proof".

I just figure any extra bit of scratch resistance is welcome. no?

14. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

15. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Aluminum won't be very scratch proof, the stainless steel frame of the iPhone 4 is a lot more scratch resistant then the aluminium they have used in all iPhones after and I would suspect this Apple Watch too.

16. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

The easily scratchable antenna bands are what grinds my gears, hopefully not present in the 7

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nowhere in this language is scratch resistance mentioned. I don't think Apple is making any claims about that.

"60 percent stronger" is probably a nod towards people fearing that an aluminum watch might bend or dent too easily. Of course, we'll have to see how this plays out when people actually wear them.

If the strength claim is true, it would still be nice to see this aluminum on iPhones, hopefully to put an end to bendghazi.

18. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

While stainless steel is significantly harder than aluminum, those of us that are gun enthusiasts have learned that stainless steel is still fairly easily scratched.:(

19. tresmith thread starter macrumors 6502

20. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

My 6 is in a case and the aluminum will never be scratched.

21. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

7000 series aluminum has been around forever for bike frames. so has 8000

22. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Aluminum is not scratch resistant no matter what series, anodizing makes it more scratch resistant depending on the grade of anodization. Aluminum is not stronger than steel whether 6000, 7000, or 8000 series. Aluminum is stiffer than steel as it does not flex easily, and is more prone to stress weakening failure, fractures, or permanent bends. Alloyed steel is stronger and can be tempered to extreme hardness (brittle) or springiness (flex). If a material flexes it resists bending. No material is scratch resistant, but ceramics can be relatively scratch resistant. Titanium coating on steel can make it more scratch resistant as other coatings, and steel can be refinished if uncoated, while the anodization of aluminum cannot, and just wears off after a while when subjected to wear.
    Titanium would be an ideal alloy as it is light, flexes and has the most resistance to stress weakening. Would like to hear of the alloys used in the common 7000 series aluminum that Apple claims to have developed into un-obtainium..

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Called what?