Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
722756305e185c6IMG_0004.PNG

And if you notice.. it was still green.. all day i was texting surfing, eveythign was on accpt bluetooth.. I love this phone :)

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast

And if you notice.. it was still green.. all day i was texting surfing, eveythign was on accpt bluetooth.. I love this phone :)

As long as you're near a WAP, you can have great battery performance. I rotate between two wings of my office building...one has great wifi coverage and the other has very bad wifi coverage. I just charged my phone yesterday and because I spent yesterday and today in the wing with bad coverage, my battery is aready at 50%. Sadly, when I'm in this wing, I can't turn off 3G if I expect to be able to use my phone.

But yeah, that's pretty good performance.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I agree. I get great battery life. With normal usage I get almost two days with a single charge.

Brandonsc

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008

From time to time my phone will count standby time as usage. I'll look at usage and I'll have 10 hours of usage and 11 hours of standby. I am only actively using the phone for maybe three of four hours per day.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
I'm glad your happy! My iPhone 3g battery is pretty abysmal, to be honest. And it's only a week old, lol.

Love the phone, though.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
8 hours of standby time? That's horrible. I was up to 5 days 7 hours once, and I'm not impressed by this puny PoS battery. The advertised standby time is 250 hours. That's over 10 days, I only managed to get half of that. My gf has some tiny Samsung phone she bought in 2005, it's about half the size of the iPhone, and 3 years down the line it can still go 6-7 days between charges.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
8 hours of standby time? That's horrible. I was up to 5 days 7 hours once, and I'm not impressed by this puny PoS battery. The advertised standby time is 250 hours. That's over 10 days, I only managed to get half of that. My gf has some tiny Samsung phone she bought in 2005, it's about half the size of the iPhone, and 3 years down the line it can still go 6-7 days between charges.

yeah but thats because of the usage. by 250 hours standby that means if the phone is on and you don't use it in anyway, it won't die for about 250 hours.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
yeah but thats because of the usage. by 250 hours standby that means if the phone is on and you don't use it in anyway, it won't die for about 250 hours.
Yeah, and that's what I tried. I have a secondary phone to take calls and I have an iPod Touch for the fun stuff you might use an iPhone for. I'd love to see if anyone, anywhere outside of Apple's tech lab has actually made it past the 10-day mark.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast

That Samsung probably doesn't do half the things that an iPhone does, though. That's an apples/oranges comparison. It is better to compare phones that have similar configs and capabilities.

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
That Samsung probably doesn't do half the things that an iPhone does, though. That's an apples/oranges comparison. It is better to compare phones that have similar configs and capabilities.

I said to so many people that the iPhone rocks. and they don't beleave me ;) but i said have a play with mine? :eek: they loved it!! haha

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Exactly, and because of that huge potential and its many capabilities, the iPhone should have had the battery to match it. Instead they gave us an orange with the battery capacity of an apple. They can't sell it as this wonderful omnipotent device that's not only an advanced phone but also a gaming platform, an entertainment center for music, TV shows and movies, an internet communicator, and then go "Oh... P.S. You can't actually do any of those things when you're more than 3 feet away from the nearest power outlet or USB port, because then the battery will die in no time and you won't be able to make calls".

vrflyer

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Suburb of Columbus
Def. seeing a big battery life improvement on my end as well. I updated about 24hrs ago, using 3G ON + WiFi + BT + E-Mail + LOC ON & iPod for 3hrs as well. I just hit the 20% battery warning after I took this pic. :)

Attachments

• iPhone Mex 799.png
    iPhone Mex 799.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 81

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
Exactly, and because of that huge potential and its many capabilities, the iPhone should have had the battery to match it. They can't sell it as this wonderful omnipotent device that's not only an advanced phone but also a gaming platform, an entertainment center for music, TV shows and movies, an internet communicator, and then go "Oh... P.S. You can't actually do any of those things when you're more than 3 feet away from the nearest power outlet or USB port, because then the battery will die in no time and you won't be able to make calls".

I don't think its being marketed to do a ton of things. And, a user doesn't HAVE to use all options that are available. The phone charges quickly, so in those cases that you're needing a charge, just plug it up (I'm going to get another charger just for work).

My friends used to complain of bad gas mileage and when I rode with one of them, I found out why...he was driving insanely fast all the time. More power demands mean more consumption. Turn off some features of the phone and things might not be as bad.

Brett3rThanU

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
I'm wondering if I should get an exchange, it seems like everyone is getting better battery life than I am. I get normally about 3 hours of usage and I'm below 20%.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Geez, the most I've ever gotten is about 6 hours of use with 14 or 15 hours standby.

A day? I think I only got close to that one time on a day when I only used the phone for 45 minutes.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I don't think its being marketed to do a ton of things.
The big selling point when the iPhone was introduced, was that it was three devices in one. Phone, iPod, Internet device. This is how Steve introduced it. Guess he forgot to mention that it still only has the battery capacity of one of those three devices.

And, a user doesn't HAVE to use all options that are available. The phone charges quickly, so in those cases that you're needing a charge, just plug it up (I'm going to get another charger just for work).
Right, but a reasonable case scenario is that you charge up your phone in the morning, make a couple of calls, get on a train for an hour and watch a TV show or play a game to kill time, go around town and have meetings with a few clients and surf a little or make a few calls between meetings, or perhaps listen to some music while you make your way around town. Then you get on the train home and place an hour-long phone call. Then you want to call home to check if any groceries are needed. Oops, battery's already dead.

That isn't extreme usage, it's moderate usage. Extreme usage is when you bleed the battery to death in 2 hours by playing a complex 3D game non-stop. If you can't kill a couple of hours of travelling by using it as a video iPod or a gaming device without killing its capability to be used as a phone later, something is fundamentally wrong with the concept.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
Right, but a reasonable case scenario is that you charge up your phone in the morning, make a couple of calls, get on a train for an hour and watch a TV show or play a game to kill time, go around town and have meetings with a few clients and surf a little or make a few calls between meetings, or perhaps listen to some music while you make your way around town. Then you get on the train home and place an hour-long phone call. Then you want to call home to check if any groceries are needed. Oops, battery's already dead.

I've all options turned on on my phone. I have no problem getting through at least a full 24 hours on a charge. Can you list another device that has these capabilities in multitasking and will go without recharging 6 hours later?

That isn't extreme usage, it's moderate usage. Extreme usage is when you bleed the battery to death in 2 hours by playing a complex 3D game non-stop. If you can't kill a couple of hours of travelling by using it as a video iPod or a gaming device without killing its capability to be used as a phone later, something is fundamentally wrong with the concept.

Playing a 3D game nonstop for 2 hours on an iPod is extreme usage. If you did that on a laptop, you'd be lucky to get 2 hours of use out of it. The thing is, its not a dedicated device. While its doing what you want it to do, its also running background tasks. If you're traveling and aren't always near a WAP, you're gonna end up with a dead battery quickly...and who travels where they are always near a WAP? You can't ride a bus or train or plane and constantly stay connected to a WAP.

If you hate the device that much, just sell it and get something that you can stomach.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Count me in as being impressed with the 3G battery. On my first Gen iPhone I would only get about 5 hours of continuous Crash Cart and with the 3G, it went for OVER 8 Hours in Crash Cart. Nice.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Can you list another device that has these capabilities in multitasking and will go without recharging 6 hours later?
Not only do most smartphones (Nokia, SE, Blackberry etc) give you better battery life (SE P1i = 440 hrs standby, BB Bold = 310 hrs, N95 = 280 hours, etc) standby, but they all have a frickin' battery door so that you can bring an extra battery and switch them when the first one dies. The iPhone has a dainty wristwatch battery *and* it's sealed.

If you hate the device that much, just sell it and get something that you can stomach.
I don't hate the device, in that case it would be easy. I just hate the disgusting subhuman bucket of puke who decided that this battery was appropriate for the iPhone.

This is the big gripe everyone has with the iPhone. This forum is littered with threads about battery woes. Fans of other phones don't discuss the battery with such fervor. I wonder why?

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Ever since the last 3G update I have gotten FABULOUS battery life. Much better that my 1st Gen. I mean this is really wonderful. Also it is soooo much less "buggy".

You know, this is the phone that should have been sold in the 1st place. It shouldn't have taken all of these fixes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.