iPad I'm in a predicament. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by marlap2000, Dec 8, 2014.

1. marlap2000 macrumors newbie

So at my school, we receive iPads. We've had them for a few years, so they're still iPad 2s. I managed to bypass the school's configuration system and jailbreak my iPad 2 at iOS 8.1. The school just noticed something was wrong with my iPad so they called me down to the tech office. One of the guys there told me he found out about this jailbreak and said there are going to be huge consequences. This might even include a suspension :eek: . Now I turned to the macrumor forums to help me. I have openssh installed on that iPad and have sshed into it a few times already. I know when you ssh, you get full access to every file in the iPad. Since the tech has the iPad in their office (they took it from me), I can't manually restore it and remove any proof of the jailbreak in the first place. I was extremely smart at the last second and when I was turning off my passcode to hand it in, I screenshotted the ip address of the school's internet. This way I have full access to the iPad and whats on it. What I want to ask is how to delete files in the ssh and cause the iPad to restore. I don't care if the software would never turn on again, if the device is bricked, I just don't care at this point. All I need to do is restore the iPad and remove the jailbreak. Please someone help me as I do not want to get suspended for this crap and please tell me what files to delete in the iFile-type menu. I was thinking of deleting everything, but I wanted to ask on here first. Thank You very much.

2. Ericbe59 macrumors member

Ericbe59

Well, at least it's not a felony or even a criminal misdemeanor. Just don't do anything rash to make your situation worse. I have no idea how you could remotely get it to restore and I wouldn't do it, even if you did. Better to take the suspension. It's not the end of the world.

3. marlap2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Only problem is the guy said up to 10 days suspension and I find that total crap for jailbreaking their iPad.

4. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I know that if you reboot while holding the power up button that all mobile substrate stuff is disabled. I also know if you remove Cydia installer, everything was uninstalled in old iOS versions. Can someone confirm that?

5. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

It was their property anyway, and by any chance, how did they realise something was wrong with the iPad?

6. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Easy. They probably use an MDM like we do. We can run a script to detect jailbreak detection. I'm sure he signed an AUP. He violated the AUP by jailbreaking.

To the OP, you aren't going to be able to ssh in from the outside for a couple reasons.

1) By sshing to their external IP, you are trying to ssh to their external server. Not your iPad.
    2) They probably don't even have the ports open to unknown IPs and rely on VPN.
    3) Your iPad has probably been disconnected from WIFI since it likely isn't connected to power.

7. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Op, you'll have to be at your school to do this, but try to ssh and get in. Then, go to /library/mobilesubstrate and delete everything inside. If you have any Cydia apps with icons like winterboard, go to /Applications and delete them, along with Cydia.

8. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Just be honest at this point. You didn't see what was wrong about jailbreaking it, and you have a genuine interest in tech. If they still don't care, just take it in the chin that they're being strict.

If you restore it, they'd still know something is up. I'm sure they had special software on there to monitor it in the first place, so you're really better off just being honest. You didn't mean to do anything 'wrong'.

Gosh, so glad I'm not in school anymore. :p

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Do play up the interest in tech. This could have some mitigating effect, so long as you weren't using the jailbreak to pirate apps or try to get free in app purchases with it. If you were doing either of those, that suspension is likely to be a longer one.

That said, trying to erase the iPad remotely now will absolutely make things worse. If you succeed, they'll know it was you, since no one else had a motive, and then you'll be in even more trouble.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Even playing up the issues you suggested, I'll bet he still gets the 10 days. :cool:

11. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Don't make the situation worse by trying to outwit them. Just admit what you did was stupid and promise to never do it again try to ask for leniency.

12. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Wait, so you modified the file system protections of someone else's property that specifically barred you from doing so (likely with the consequences spelled out in an agreement when you accepted the use of the iPad), and you're coming to the community to bail you out? That's classic.

13. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

When I was in high school we were given MacBook Airs that were locked down with MDM and casper.

I got past both, wiped the SSD, and at the time installed a developer preview of Mavericks.

I was caught, told them I asked my parents since the MacBook is the schools, and the school is paid for by my parents taxes, so in a technicality they have some ownership into it also.

They let me off, took the macbook and restored it to lion with their crap on it, and i just did it again and they didn't even bother doing anything.

Public schools are BS.

14. matov macrumors newbie

matov

Some malwares are able to jailbreak ios devices...

In any case, if you are up to jailbreak a device that is not yours, you are up for the consequences.

Ask your IT teacher for extra credit for bypassing protections :)

15. white4s Suspended

a 10 day suspension would be deserving for modifying something that you do not own

sorry but i'm just being real

16. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

WORST argument ever. It's like saying if you pee in a public park that you shouldn't get in trouble because technically you own the park as a taxpayer so it's your property you're defacing.

17. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I don't see a problem with that either, so long your not doing it for people to see...

Taking a pee isn't defacing, your not ruining or changing anything.

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Easy route would be to sign in to iCloud and wipe from there which would probably cause it to loop.

IMO doing anything more than what you have done would be worse for you

--------

Ahh the high school days, I helped ran the network and hardware fixing of my school as an elective. Good times, learned a lot. I had lan "worms" game parties w my friend from different classrooms that ran secretly inside the network.

19. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

You don't see a problem with peeing in a public park? Not in a toilet.. just on a sidewalk or on a tree. You do realize how nasty pee smells when it dries and becomes stale, right?

You have serious issues if you think peeing in a park is ok. Not talking about deep in the woods of Yosemite here.