Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I can afford the bill. You know what? Forget I ever asked for help. I can handle this on my own.

Your plea for help was an odd one.

I think I've already racked up what will be about $600 on my next bill. Can I hope for AT&T to waive the roaming fees or should I just kill myself now?

I never bought a car on credit ...
Even for my house I didn't need a loan.
The only loans I took were for my business.

That may be easier to do in Belgium. In the US, only the super rich can afford to do big purchase without the need for some kind of loan. Saving is a lost art among (most) Americans

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
AT&T will charge you the data. The lawyers gave them a switch on the latest update to ensure they would no longer get surprised roaming complaints.

They offer an international roaming plan for 20MB for $19. Your actions are simply ignorant.

On credit. You've got to be kidding. A 650 vs 800 will cost a homeowner a huge amount over a 30 year mortgage. In California think more than $50k!

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
USA
I see you've had quite a few harsh comments, however most of them are justified. I'm only 16 myself, so I'm not the best person to give advice, however, i have an iPhone and have had a 12 month contract phone with T-Mobile before my iPhone.

My T-Mobile phone was stolen and a £400 phone bill was run up on it. Even though I wasn't the one that run up the phone bill, I was still liable for the costs and i worked my butt off for weeks to pay that phone bill.

Sure, i could have said ''Go scratch for the money T-Mobile'', but I didn't want the hassle, nor inconvenience/problems it would cause for my future, therefore, i highly suggest you do the same and pay for your iPhone bill.

I know people that haven't paid their mobile phone bills and have had items on credit refused, credit cards refused and now they're screwed because they can't get a loan or mortgage.

Be smart and pay the bill.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I see you've had quite a few harsh comments, however most of them are justified. I'm only 16 myself, so I'm not the best person to give advice, however, i have an iPhone and have had a 12 month contract phone with T-Mobile before my iPhone.

My T-Mobile phone was stolen and a £400 phone bill was run up on it. Even though I wasn't the one that run up the phone bill, I was still liable for the costs and i worked my butt off for weeks to pay that phone bill.

Sure, i could have said ''Go scratch for the money T-Mobile'', but I didn't want the hassle, nor inconvenience/problems it would cause for my future, therefore, i highly suggest you do the same and pay for your iPhone bill.

I know people that haven't paid their mobile phone bills and have had items on credit refused, credit cards refused and now they're screwed because they can't get a loan or mortgage.

Be smart and pay the bill.

Alright, you've convinced me. I currently earn about $400 a month and I can easily earn more if I just work more. I barely work at all right now. And the bill won't be due until January 5th.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
before you just pay it call cingular allot of times they will help you out some how. I have had similar problems with minutes in the past and they have taken care of it. Just speak very well. Be polite, but if you need to get kinda of assertive.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
before you just pay it call cingular allot of times they will help you out some how. I have had similar problems with minutes in the past and they have taken care of it. Just speak very well. Be polite, but if you need to get kinda of assertive.

I agree. There's no sense in not trying to at least shave off some of those dollars.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I think I've already racked up what will be about $600 on my next bill. Can I hope for AT&T to waive the roaming fees or should I just kill myself now?

You should have been more careful. You should have researched roaming fees, it takes 30 minutes max. Pure and utter laziness.

Zero sympathy.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
You should have been more careful. You should have researched roaming fees, it takes 30 minutes max. Pure and utter laziness.

Zero sympathy.

What is your psychological need to Let Me Know that you have zero sympathy? If you have zero sympathy for me, then I obviously should have no reason or interest to talk with you, so what's the point of shoving it in my face?

Thanks IDANNY, I definitely will call them. Maybe i'll get lucky and they'll shave off all data roaming fees if I promise to never do it again. :)

Honesty has paid off for me in the past. Whenever I find cash laying on the ground, I always try to find who's it is, and usually what happens is i'm told to just keep it. That way I keep the money, and my conscience is clean!

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
That may be easier to do in Belgium. In the US, only the super rich can afford to do big purchase without the need for some kind of loan. Saving is a lost art among (most) Americans

He. Even in Belgium most people take out a loan to buy a house, prices here are rising as well. For a car, most people take out a loan as well. I took one out for the house, but not for the car.

But everything else is not on credit. We are still saving, but apparently less and less. And our credit-rating is not as valuable as yours...

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
He. Even in Belgium most people take out a loan to buy a house, prices here are rising as well. For a car, most people take out a loan as well. I took one out for the house, but not for the car.

But everything else is not on credit. We are still saving, but apparently less and less. And our credit-rating is not as valuable as yours...

I'm not sure where it is now, but the average net savings per household in 2005 was actually below 0%.

ignore

Belgium at least is staying up near 10%

ignore

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I don't understand.

It's obvious you are addicted to your iPhone with that kind of usage, yet you are willing to throw it completely away for something you knew would happen if you didn't have an international data plan? Usually when people know they can't afford to do something, they don't do it.

interesting

10MB is not that much. Hardly indicates an addiction.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Well, AT&T got in touch with me to let me know that I've got an $1100 bill. They offered to add the $59.99 50mb international plan to cover most of the cost. Then i'll only have $56 of overage left. So my bill will be about $115 more than usual this month. Not a big deal. :)

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Well, AT&T got in touch with me to let me know that I've got an $1100 bill. They offered to add the $59.99 50mb international plan to cover most of the cost. Then i'll only have $56 of overage left. So my bill will be about $115 more than usual this month. Not a big deal. :)

you are lucky. i hope you don't think you'll get lucky like this every time.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

That was incredibly generous of them - they would have been within their rights to insist on the $1100 in full. It does show how extortionate the roaming charges are if you're not on a plan though!

btallada9870

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I never bought a car on credit ...
Even for my house I didn't need a loan.
The only loans I took were for my business.

well, you've obviously been lucky enough to have enough money to buy a car and house without taking out a loan. now, most people, need credit to get low interest rates.

and by the way to the thread starter. without credit, you won't be able to get a cell phone plan without depsoiting 500 dollars for a year. so you're better off paying the bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.