I'm in dilemma right now. Should i wait or buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 123wes, Jul 6, 2013.

  1. 123wes macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2013
    #1
    University going to start in August and I'm planning to buy a mbp, probably a 15 inch one. Not planning to buy the retina ones coz I'm planning to do some internal upgrades myself, which is cheaper and only the non-retina models allows that.

    The thing is , Apple didnt refresh the mbp lineup during wwdc and since the haswell processors are around the corner, i'm predicting an event in september or latest october. I'm worried because I don't want to buy a last-gen mbp and lose out on the new ones just 1 or 2 month after. Anyone can give me some advise??
     
  2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #2
    Yeah - I think non-retina MBP will not be upgraded. Apple will move the pro line to retina only. Note that there is no confirmation for this, it is just what I think will happen.
     
  3. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    #3
    If you really want to see what Apple will offer, then you might just want to stick it out for a couple of months in school (using computer labs etc). It sounds rough, but it really isn't that bad once you get used to it.
     
  4. falconeight Guest

    falconeight

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2010
    #4
    I agree with him your rolling the dice. The MBP will probably be phased out. If you want one better do it know.
     
  5. 123wes, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

    123wes thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2013
    #5
    Yeah, i agree with you too. Apple will most likely continue the retina path which might be a good or a bad thing. Good because of the slimness and retina display. Bad because they might keep the internal structure the same and that sux as I can't upgrade the RAM or HDD if i need to in the future and I dont want to use their upgrade options as it is expensive.
     
  6. srsub3 macrumors 6502

    srsub3

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    Wait till october.... 1 month is not the end of the world... (university starts at 21 august I guess)... maybe new models or a price drop for MBP will happen....
     
  7. 123wes thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2013
    #7
    Well, i will be a computer science major, so or the more I might need to have a laptop for classes and the labs might not have the software I need for the course. Who knows, it's only the first month, probably there will be lots of orientation and introduction but i cant really know..

    ----------

    My university is commencing in 2nd August, so it would be unfortunate if Apple decides to hold an event in October.
     
  8. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    #8
    The labs will definitely have the software you need to complete your school work for 100 level courses (however, check it out at your school). I was a computer science major in college and preferred working in computer labs rather than my personal PC. The normal labs had everything. The classes actually prepared their material for system setup in the computer labs rather than personal ones.

    Of course, if that's a deal breaker that you cannot wait...go for what's out there now. Hopefully, Apple will announce a new lineup sooner than later.
     
  9. Buckaye macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2013
    #9
    Macs tend to hold their value fairly well if you buy used... So if you want, buy a lightly used machine and if you like the new one more... Carbon copy the drive and resell your used one... Maybe you lose a hundred or so dollars? Up to you... That might be too much to lose for you, just a thought...
     
  10. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2012
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #10
    Haswell minor upgrade in my opinion! But I would wait if I could, but, the current cMBP is awesome. That is what i bought. To much hype and drama with all the retina screen replacement stuff. Enough already. And if the cMBP is discontinued, which i doubt, I would then go straight to best buy or apple and get a 2012 cMBP. Good luck
     
  11. sofianito macrumors 65816

    sofianito

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2011
    Location:
    Spain
    #11
    Should I wait or should I buy now?
    Should I wait or should I buy now?
    If I buy there will be trouble
    An if I wait it will be double
    So come on and let me know
    ...
    :D
     
  12. Doward macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2013
    #12
    If I were in your shoes, I would pick up a clean used MBP for a great price (perhaps a C2D model), and hold off until we get the refresh.
     
  13. w00t951 macrumors 68000

    w00t951

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #13
    I would actually wait here. A laptop is meant to be portable, which requires long battery life (no charger). Haswell is a significant enough of an upgrade to just battery life that I recommend waiting.
     
  14. Tasktest macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2013
    #14
    I got offers for two top-end used rmbp, 2013 for $2200 and 2012 for $2250.
    I'm waiting for Haswell as most of you guys are, but not sure if these prices are good enough for used rmbp.
    Limited budget is a concern for me, because I'm a freshman and just want to buy a good computer for myself as a treat.
    Any opinion or suggestions?
     
  15. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

    rabidz7

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2012
    Location:
    Ohio
    #15
    I never use my MBP or PB without power adapter.
     
  16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

    w00t951

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #16
    Darn, you're right! You know, I've never understood why Apple includes the battery in MacBooks. Obviously, since rabidz7 doesn't, nobody uses their Apple portables off the AC adapter. This thread's closed, folks!
     
  17. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

    drewsof07

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #17
    There is at least one third party upgrade option for the SSD (OWC), albeit flash memory is still pretty expensive from all vendors. I see this changing as flash becomes standard.
    Personally - I would wait. If you don't like what comes out, you can still buy the previous version at a good discount or refurbished. And let's be honest, the new Back to school promo bee-lows. Give us the damn cash back!!
     
  18. lanestew macrumors member

    lanestew

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2009
    Location:
    USA
  19. alex0002 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2013
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #19
    Even if production of the cMBP ends when the new Haswell rMBP is introduced, people will still be able to purchase a near new refurbished cMBP with full warranty, so I think he should probably wait.
     

Share This Page