Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tolive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
OK eventually I jumped in for a Macbook Pro C2D 15" yesterday, so far I like it very much, except the following annoying message that pops up every several minutes:

The wireless network appears to have been compromised and will be disabled for about a minute.

Every time after the message pops up, it really disables the wireless connection for about 1 minute...

Anbody got the message like this before? what can I do with it?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've seen this mentioned a few times before (here is one thread on it), but I haven't seen a good explanation or solution for it.

Do you have multiple computers attempting to connect to the network? Can you change some of the security settings for your router (WEP vs. WPA)?

tolive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Yes I do have multiple computers, except this Macbook Pro, all others are Windows PCs, they all connect to my wireless router, at the time I got the message, I think I had one PC turned on but no activity on it.

What should I chane on my wireless setting? yes I have full control on my home network, currently I'm using WPA personal.

I've seen this mentioned a few times before (here is one thread on it), but I haven't seen a good explanation or solution for it.

Do you have multiple computers attempting to connect to the network? Can you change some of the security settings for your router (WEP vs. WPA)?

tolive

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Thanks. Yes I did read that thread but there is no clear/practical solution there.

Maybe I should have mentioned this: I use BitTorrent client on one of the other Windows PCs, but I can be 100% sure, my network was NOT actually compromised when I got the message.

Take a look at this thread...

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=26414

Weird problem. I've never personally experienced it (have had a WPA network for ~ three years now).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm... so is your basic setup the standard "secure" sort of setup -- WPA personal, hidden SSID, MAC filtering?

Look at post #26 in the thread I linked... I'm not familiar with the router you use, but maybe there is an alternative option to this "MIC?" At least, it seems to be router dependent. It doesn't seem like any of the reports of this arise from Apple routers.... only specific routers from specific vendors.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Hmmm... so is your basic setup the standard "secure" sort of setup -- WPA personal, hidden SSID, MAC filtering?

Look at post #26 in the thread I linked... I'm not familiar with the router you use, but maybe there is an alternative option to this "MIC?" At least, it seems to be router dependent. It doesn't seem like any of the reports of this arise from Apple routers.... only specific routers from specific vendors.

We had this problem connecting to a Linksys WCG200 ver. 2 (WPA or WPA2) with our MBP running Leopard 10.5.2. It worked with other wireless routers but not this router / gateway combo.

We found Appletalk was enabled on our Wireless NIC under Leopard. Disabling Appletalk made the error go away.

Cheers
Tim

Architecty

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
I've not had your particular problem but have had an issue with Windows PC's causing my Belkin router to hang and require restarting when they log on (my MBP never causes the same behaviour). Activating PnP on the router seems to solve the issue, perhaps it would work for other Windows/Mac network clashes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.