Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Ok so for the past couple of months I have been building an Ubuntu server(I it's not specifically a mac problem, but I use both OSes and ubuntu is not easy when you want advice from their experts because those "experts" seem to think that everything Linux should be done from the terminal and everything should be done from the command line--I am an artist not a computer programmer) I have set up the Apache server and set up the blogs and forums I even have the domain everything is set up except one little thing.

The one problem I am having is setting up my comic strip for the move from the hosting site to my home based server I want to make it easily navigable like these two sites I am a fan of:

http://www.sinfest.net/

http://www.collectedcurios.com/sequentialart.php

....... and I want something easily installable in my www file that does it like these I can do the PHP thing with a little effort so what I am really looking for i guess is a comic strip manager for my web page?

if the management feels that this is not the correct sub-forum please go ahead and move it

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Why not just write it yourself? It looks like the comics are named by the date they were published, so you can just put them all into a folder, and use PHP to count the most recent, total images in the folder, and get the name of the previous one.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2009
Why not just write it yourself? It looks like the comics are named by the date they were published, so you can just put them all into a folder, and use PHP to count the most recent, total images in the folder, and get the name of the previous one.

That's the thing I want to avoid going into too much technical detail and find something ready made and open source to to the job, I had no problem installing PHPBB and Wordpress since they come ready to go with very little extra effort.

I would like to concentrate more on my artwork than on being a computer expert if possible I won't tell a lie when it comes to gadgets I am basically lazy but I am also a cheapskate--I am sure if I paid someone to do all the setup I would have been ready to move everything a month ago LOL

EDIT UPDATE: HOORAY! I FOUND SOMETHING I CAN USE TO HOST THE COMICS!

it's called comiccms I had to wade through a crapload of google searches to find something easily installable but somehow I did it.

Thanks for the advice anyhow monkey you are right I was looking for something doing with PHP so that parts taken care of and now I have a drag and drop option--now I just need to fiddle with all the templates to match these up with the main website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.