I'm in need of some serious help.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Petejohn, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Petejohn macrumors newbie

I'm in pure panick mode right now, and feel like a semi imbecile for even asking advice, but I read some posts before I logged in and realized this is the best place for legitimate and worthy answers.

I live in Costa. Rica, a friend of mine brought me iPhone 5s 64 gb, top of the line, I had a iph. 5 16 gb, but gave that to my wife and used the new one due to the major memory increase. I unlocked it, got the sped up code and the warranty for a cool total of $85. Have been using it flawlessly for the last 3 weeks. Tonight I was in the app store downloading a bunch of random walking dead apps. And while I had two loading and 3 waiting, I noticed the IOS 7.1 update. ( I'll be honest, I had recently inhaled several marijuana puffs, and wasn't thinking exactly straight. ) so after reading about the 41 improvements, I downloaded on the spot withou thinking, this was about 3 hours ago.

It still says less than 1 min remaining, before I actually registered to a forum where I can get real feed back , I naturally googled a variety of different questions, about canceling down load, unlocked phone still working after update, why update takes so long , etc. The responses and answers were vague at best or matter of factly put that ,"hey it worked for me, six to be you" yadda, yadda( yes a Seinfeld quote.)

Should I wait it out?
    Am I gonna lose my unlocking privileges.
    Is canceling this a big No-No?
    What if when I wake up, it still says less than one min remaining
    Did I unlock my iPhone 5s, or my iPhone 5 s, 7 iOS ?
    Will I need to unlock it again?

Thanks in advance, this phone was my fondest gadget ever, and now suddenly I'm flipping out, thinking I may have got greedy, it was a+++ for me, why download if you don't need the features.

Note: I really hope I chose the right topic area for this, otherwise I may have to repost it.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

If it was factory unlocked it should stay unlocked. You'll lose your jailbreak though.

3. Petejohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Factory unlocked opposed to what other type of unlocked. It was a iPhone 5S Verizon, I bought a code online tat allowed me to use it in Costa Rica.

Pardon my ignorance on the matter.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

As opposed to jailbreak and unlock. iOS updates always remove the jailbreak and the unlock.

5. Petejohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I shut t off now, it's literally been 5+ hours. I can still call, etc, send messages, take pics. But I read on another site, you should ever power off during a ajor download. (remember I live in costa ica-3rdworld country, I don't even have 4g, but the phone still kicks ass)

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yeah, go ahead and shut it off. Let us know what happens but it should be ok.

7. Petejohn thread starter macrumors newbie

That response doesn't sound to encouraging, no offense. M going to bed, will speak with my tech team tomorrow at the office, hopefully they will be able to help or at least offer good advice, will follow hrough though later.

pJ

8. cynics macrumors G4

9. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If it's a Verizon iPhone, you should be fine unless you did something weird to make it connect to your network. Verizon iPhones are unlocked for GSM networks which most of the rest of the world uses. Even a foreign CDMA network may be allowed, but I'm not sure. I know it won't work on Sprint here in the US for several reasons.

So you'll probably lose your jailbreak, but it should probably still be unlocked. A true unlock isn't affected by updating.

10. white4s macrumors 65816

as a fellow user I find this hilarious, sorry lol

he doesn't mention jailbreak anywhere?

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

He says he "got the sped up code" which I'm assuming is a jailbreak tweak.

12. white4s macrumors 65816

there's no sped up code tweak to my knowledge, i think he's talking about the carrier plan with that.