I'm in the "o" network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MemphisDave, Feb 19, 2009.

1. MemphisDave macrumors regular

MemphisDave

....and the o network sucks!

I am at work( EDGE network) listening to Pandora....suddenly, it crashes and I'm stuck in the o network. It sucks.
    What's the deal?
    It probably will change when i get back home(3G network area)
    Any ideas?
    MemphisDave
    oNetwork_iphoto3G.jpg

2. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

I have the same issue very so often, yes it does suck here and there, but it's looking for 3g or edge network. You can go to the nearest AT&T store to see what can be done.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The 'o' is actually GPRS, the slowest of current Mobile Networking, and it just means that the area you are in doesnt support EDGE or 3G.

Worse in the Uk, as about half of it is still GPRS.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Nothing can be done... it's just the area that he was in. Maybe there was some interference somewhere and eventually he lost his 3G and Edge signals.

5. MemphisDave thread starter macrumors regular

MemphisDave

Yeah...my thoughts exactly. I was on the EDGE network and figured they were doing some maintenance. It shows that i'm back on the EDGE and Pandora works for the moment. I was just curious if anyone really knew what was going on..Maybe the "o" stands for OUTAGE ?

Thanks,
    MemphisDave

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, as mentioned before, it is indeed GPRS. As to why they chose an O symbol for that, I cannot tell you.

7. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

i get this every now and then when switching from edge to wifi. after i disable wifi and re-enable it, it works again. although sometimes I have to reboot the phone too

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I only get the "o" when I'm in the middle of nowhere or deep inside a steel building.

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yeah, HSDPA, UMTS, and EDGE all have much lower noise tolerances than does GPRS.

The worst part of GPRS is, IMO, not the reduced bandwidth but the increased latency. SSH over 3G is definitely usable (though not as good as WiFi->server's local network ;-)), and SSH over EDGE is barely usable. SSH over GPRS is... bad. Really bad. It's actually the sole reason that I replaced my first-gen iPhone -- the area of the UK that I'm in has great GPRS and HSDPA coverage, but EDGE coverage is basically non-existent by anyone other than Orange (who are, by the way, the absolute best for a first-gen iPhone due to their c. 2005/6 EDGE build-out.)

10. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

11. marine610610 macrumors regular

12. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

Oprah has a cell phone network now too??? :D First she chooses our president, now it looks like she is choosing your network Haha!

Oops, someone beat me to it lol ;)