Im in two minds, should i buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zimpaz, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Zimpaz macrumors regular

Hey folks,

I just saw that the macbooks have been updated.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a macbook for a few months now. My old dell brick really is too heavy and slow for me these days. This is fine for the 75% of the time when i use it at home, but i want something a bit more portable to go out and about when i visit family or go on trips.

Being in my final year of university (should prolly be working rite now instead of mac debating) i can still take advantage of the student discounts that they offer.

I can get the mid range macbook with the following specs and price...

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory
    160GB hard drive1
    Double-layer SuperDrive

Ready to ship: 24hrs
    Free Shipping
    £713.23
    (£607.00 ex VAT)

This seems like a fantastic deal to me, i just need someone to reassure me it is, and tip me to the buy side!

2. Queso macrumors G4

Firstly, remember that it's very easy when Apple release something new to fall into the "I want" trap. As a student there's two concerns you should have as I see it.

Will you be buying it with your own money (i.e. not on credit)?
    Are you sure you won't need that £700 for something more essential when you graduate?

If the answer to both of those is yes I'd say go for it. Otherwise stick with the Dell for now.

3. Pees330 macrumors 6502

If your old dell is not cutting it for you go ahead and buy one now. If you're thinking of buying in the coming months go for it while you can with your Education discount. I just pulled the trigger on a new MBP today with my education discount.

4. Zimpaz thread starter macrumors regular

It will be my own money for sure. and i cant think of anything i will need when i graduate. I plan to live with my mum for a few months until i get a decent job and can afford to rent / buy a house.

Also, i can perhaps sell my dell on ebay or something. May only get £80 for it but that pays for some of the mac

5. Queso macrumors G4

In that case I don't see why you shouldn't update now. Much better than paying the full price in a few month's time.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with you that it's a great deal. I think the new macbooks are very attractive. (I have to keep reminding myself that I'm graduating school in a few months and don't need a new laptop.) And since it sounds like your old computer is really chugging at this point, I say go for it. :)