I'm installing more RAM on IMac : Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Nov 29, 2007.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

hey guys,

i'm installing some more RAM on my new iMac and had a couple of questions.

1) Can I buy RAM anywhere online other than Apple? If so are there any good sites etc?
    2) Is there any special type I have to buy?
    3) They don't have to be matched pairs or anything right?
    4) If I install it myself will it void my AppleCare? If it does, can I buy it elsewhere and have an Apple store install it for me? I just don't want to buy it from them due to overcharging.

thanks in advance!

2. unity macrumors 6502a

1) Can I buy RAM anywhere online other than Apple? If so are there any good sites etc?
    Yes, newegg.com is GREAT for getting what you need.

2) Is there any special type I have to buy?
    Well other than it meets the specs, no.

3) They don't have to be matched pairs or anything right?
    No, but some systems like when you do.

4) If I install it myself will it void my AppleCare? If it does, can I buy it elsewhere and have an Apple store install it for me? I just don't want to buy it from them due to overcharging.
    No you will not void it. Its considered a user serviceable part if directions for doing so are in the owners manual.

What iMac you have?

3. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

thanks unity!

its a brand new imac 20". actually for my girlfriend. im going to get either a new macbook or imac 24".

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Ok, the new iMacs and MacBooks use "PC2 5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM", thats what you will want to look for.

I suggest reading the reviews if you go to newegg.com, prices vary and the cheapest is not always best. But often you can over-spend for no reason.

Your other option is to locate and Apple Authorized reseller. Often they sell the "extra" ram from upgrades. For example if they upgrade someone new iMac to 4GB, well there will be an extra module. I did this and picked up an "Apple" 2GB module for $50, new.