Im+ Instant Messenger

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kwjohns, Aug 27, 2008.

1. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Free new IM program in the App Store. Downloading now to try it out...

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I can't find it, is that exactly how you spell it?

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

4. Surely Guest

Surely

So what's the buzz on this IM client?
    Is it secure?
    Do you need to sign up for an account with them in order to use this app?

5. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Another one? And this one out of the blue...

Won't bother with any of these IM apps again until I hear enough good reports about stability. This one doesn't look that great from the one screen shot given, though -- and the icon/name leaves much to be desired. But please do tell us what you think of it...

6. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Well unfortunately this thing disconnects you as soon as you close the app. I'm guessing it connects straight up with the individual IM servers rather than their own. I think the interface is a lot better than Palringo, though. No account required other than the IM protocols. No horizontal typing. You can only choose from Online, Away, Invisible and Offline as your statuses. Invisible does work.

7. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

You can add or delete people from the app. Contact list is ordered by status then alphabetically. Chat window is pretty boring. No fancy bubbles or anything. There's one interface setting, which allows you to display offline contacts or not.

Overall, I haven't run into any glitches yet.

8. Clyde099 macrumors regular

I'll wait to download.
    I still can't get over how horrible MobileChat is.
    I'm hoping this will be a better substitute until beejive is released.

9. bug67 macrumors regular

bug67

I had this app on my blackberry when I had it. It was really the best one available for bb at the time. I paid a premium for the privilege of using it too. $50.00 U.S. :eek:

Can't believe it's free for iPhone. Probably won't be after we're done beta testing for shape services.

10. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Seems easy to set up and connects well. Nothing in this app that makes it better than meebo for me though. What this needs is landscape typing to differentiate it from palringo. I wouldn't expect push or anything like that on a free app but that would be what would make it usable for me.

11. kevin512 macrumors member

kevin512

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I downloaded it. Pretty basic and more stable than MC, LOL. It doesn't appear credentials are stored on any server (which I like). Can anyone confirm this? This may be my stop gap until beejive is released.

12. kevin512 macrumors member

kevin512

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Anyone having trouble logging into Yahoo service?Keeps giving me invalid credentials error.

13. gowanis macrumors 6502

i used this one on my Treo for a couple of years. While not great, it was always stable.

So far on iPhone using AIM protocol the one thing I've noticed is that its definitely faster than the AIM app.

14. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Isn't myspace IM basically just skype? I'm in dire need of a skype app.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Still has the same typing bug as AIM.app Can't type under a suggestion bubble without closing it.

16. candyman macrumors regular

I would love to have a version of Adium on my phone. I use it on my Macs and it covers all the bases for me.

17. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

This isn't coming anytime soon so don't hold your breath.

18. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

Adium

Doesn't mean we can't wish we had it... but then in reality I don't think the IM apps will really become totally useful and mature until they can use the push service.

Anyway, on the actual topic of the thread... I've had it crash a few times, but other than that I like this messenger client well enough. It does seem snappier than the official AIM client. Issues I have with it though are that I don't see any distinction between who is online using different services. It's not that crucial, but I like being able to tell which people are on which service. And of course, no landscape mode. :(

19. jsep macrumors member

anyone else having issues connecting to your accounts over EDGE?

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

amen to that! only thing I wish it could do that it can't (desktop version) is file transfers.

21. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

:confused: Uummmmm.... I'm quite certain that Adium can do file transfers, I use that functionality all the time. It's occasionally a bit testy and requires a 'secure connection' or whatever, but I've had that issue with previous client (and on my Windows boxes), so it's more likely an issue with my network/router than Adium.

22. puremagic macrumors member

I have downloaded this.

Got to the settings put in msn

and my full hotmail address and password.

If i go into any of the other sections, there is nothing there.

Miss having msn as I had it on my old WM phone.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

23. f1d macrumors member

My one just keeps giving me invalid MSN password errors... it's not invalid, I just used the exact same password to login to messenger on my mac!

Am I doing something wrong?

24. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

If a genie gave me three wishes adium wouldn't be one of them. If you are going to wish for the impossible, why not wish for something a bit bigger like world peace or something?