i'm just 1 click away...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaijing, Feb 25, 2011.

1. chaijing macrumors newbie

Hi all.

While writing this I have the apple store page on the other window...

I've been thinking really hard since they released the specs yesterday and still don't know which model to get.

I need the machine mainly for programs such as autocad, photoshop and illustrator. I occationally use 3dmax, google sketchup and other paper work programs too.

For leisure I'm a big World of Warcraft fan but I can only play casually because of work. And of course daily tasks too like web browsing, youtube and itunes.

As you can see, most of the the above programs are very "graphic-heavy" and therefore I was thinking about the 15" model because of the the video card. However it's much less portable (my work needs me to carry my laptop around like it's my wallet) and much more expensive I can barely afford.

I love the portability of the 13" and its price is much more friendly, but I'm not sure if its spec is good enough, especially the Intel video card.

This will be my very first mac of my own (although I had mac experience from work) and I want my laptop to be long lasting.

So which model to get? Low-end 13", high-end 13" or low-end 15"? (I can't afford high-end 15" unfortunately). Your opinion is much appreciated.

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

For your aps the "low end" (it's NOT really) 15" MBP would be the better option.

I have both the 13" and 15" MBP and they're roughly equivalent size. i.e. the 15" isn't THAT much bigger. Both are highly portable! JMO ~~~~~

cheers and good luck with whatever you order!
    JohnG

3. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

If it's your 1st mbp don't worry about the 15", it's very portable compared to 15" PCs. Very thin and lightweight for its size, and you'll appreciate the extra screen real estate, better graphics, better speakers and the hi-res screen option.

Go for the one with the 6750m graphics card. Looks like it'll serve you well. Find someone that can buy it for you with the edu discount ;)

4. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Man, with your graphics needs I would recommend the top tier 15" but you can only do what you can afford.

I'd go with the 15" because of your graphics needs and the screen real estate. At least the 15" has a dedicated GPU, albeit weaker than the last revision, going for it over the 13".

5. dnkbro macrumors regular

13" is garbage. You are going to regret your purchase with that ******* integrated card in there. Get the baseline 15" and be done with it. Remember, this is a MacBook, not a Windows PC. The 15" isn't THAT much bigger. It is pretty damn portable.

6. TomCondon macrumors regular

The card is shown to be about 6% worse in games, and better at encoding/decoding. Stop being an ignorant troll...