I'm just having trouble with OS X

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ct2k7, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I just can't seem to adapt to making OS X more productive for me.

I've had a MacBook Air since November last year - my first Mac, and whilst I am quite happy with the operating system, I have to admit, I am still having troubles; my productivity levels are no way near as they were before.

• The dock (replacing taskbar) isn't working for me. I don't know why, but it's just not very useful to me.
    • I am already bored on the grey look :/

Any tips for anyone who's come from a Windows background to help me?

Thanks

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

This is not meant to be harsh, just the truth

If you don't know why the dock is not working for you then you make it kind of hard to help or provide recommendations. Think of it like this, If you don't know why it's not working for you how are we supposed to know why it's not working for you. You said that you are happy with Mac OS itself so I am having trouble seeing how the dock can be that much of a productivity killer. Other parts of the OS yes but not the dock. I hope that you can provide a few reasons so that it will be easier to help you.

Apple has never been big on having all kinds of colors, they just like to keep Mac OS simple. Given that they took away the Finder sidebar colors in Lion I think you are stuck with the grey look and would not expect for it to change anytime soon.

Since your Mac has an Intel processor you always have the option of dual booting with Windows or completely getting rid of the Mac OS and installing only Windows. If your productivity is hampered as much as you say you might want to consider this. It pains me to say that but you have to do what you have to do to get your work done.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I too noticed this when I switched to OS X. I prefer the "lickability" and "smoothness" of OS X, but ultimately found it too over priced and myself to be too underproductive. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work!

4. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I found my productivity has greatly increased. I can get to things so much faster in OSX. But everyone thinks and works differently. Would like to know why you don't like the dock. The new windows 7 taskbar works almost the same.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

What about the Dock doesn't work for you? Are you using Snow Leopard or Lion? I find Expose and Mission Control much better than the Windows Taskbar, are you even using one of them?
    I don't really use the Dock much anyway, I use either Quicksilver or Spotlight to launch apps.
    What about OSX is holding back your productivity?

6. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

yes, immediately drag your applications folder to the left side of your dock. right click on dock icon, hit display as folder and view contents as list.

repeat process for documents folder as well.

now you have something that is VERY similar to the taskbar in terms of launching applications and viewing documents.

can't help you with the gray scheme..just a color.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So I gather that you have never actually purchased a retail copy of Windows?

8. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

It's been a while since I switched from windows but I do remember having about a 2-3month period where OS X seemed cool but I was still struggling to figure out how to do certain things that were easy in windows.

This is because windows and os x have different strengths and weaknesses. One of OSX weaknesses is IMHO windows management. Especially for windows within the same app. I'll hazard a guess that this might be some of the OP's issue with the dock.

I like using the application expose to help with seeing windows for a single app. I would also recommend the program witch in the app store. It gives you a list of all open windows arranged by app that are open. Very convenient for windows management when you have a lot of windows open.

Hope that helps. I am certainly not a "fanboy (or girl)" but I do think with the right tweaks OSX is nicer than windows (at least SL is. I am still waiting to be convinced by Lion).

9. swedefish macrumors 6502

I think getting used to Exposé/Mission Control is key here. I personally prefer working on one or max two desktops/spaces and go between apps/documents using Exposé. I know many Windows migrants just can't get used to working with windows floating around and want everything to be full-screen, which Lion does cater to. Furthermore, I agree with whoever said to put your Applications and Documents folders in the dock. I hate that setup and it works great for me. Moreover, I removed all the app shortcuts from my dock and thus only have the finder icon plus my folders and trash. By removing all the clutter from the dock I only see the applications that are actually running, which works better for me. I don't need to constantly see the icon for iMovie which I use a few times a month at most. I use Cmd+space = Spotlight to open apps and Cmd+tab to switch between open apps.