I'm just sayin...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by akadmon, Jan 27, 2010.

1. akadmon macrumors 68020

I don't see theiPad taking off until:

1. I can use my cell phone data plan (ATT as of now) for 3G access.
    2. There is a front facing camera and a mic for VOIP/iChat.
    3. It multitasks.
    4. There is a way to connect to other devices over USB (e.g. my dSLR camera).
    5. 64GB is standard at the low price point, or there is a memory expansion slot (SD).
    6. The display bridges the gap between the speed and color of an LCD and the readability of e-ink.

Please feel free to add to the list.

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Come back next year for Rev B., and you'll probably get all of those besides the 64GB standard (32GB will probably be the low end), and your comment about screens.

3. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

Another thing I forgot to mention is size and weight. The IPad needs to lose the stupidly wide bezel!

4. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

Agreed, its horribly ugly in my opinion...and they need to slightly increase the size of the app icons or fit more of them to a line. It looks so out of proportion

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

From people who have actually used it, they say the bezel is just right, given you hold it in your hand, and it needs to be wide enough to say rest your thumb on without triggering action on the screen.

6. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

Also, there is a mic. Secondly, although an accessory, there is a dock connector that will allow you to plug in an SD card into the iPad and another that allows you to connect a USB camera cable (both packaged together). Thirdly, as mentioned previously I believe the bezel is as large as it is to keep your fingers from accidentally triggering actions but also to keep in line with the aesthetics of of the Macbooks and iMacs.

7. MTI macrumors 65816

Again, video chat on a tablet or any handheld device? Really, you think your nasal passages are a turn on? ;)

8. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I have a mixed opinion on this. The techie part of me likes having all the hardware you can cram in. On the other hand, I have a camera on my MBP and iMac and next to never use them. I'm not quite so sure how often that would actually be used on an iPad for that matter. Maybe it would just be a novelty on the iPad.

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Apple fortunately still understand design to be about how a product can actually be used and not just what it looks like...

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

Ditto your thoughts for sure. I don't recall the last time I used my cam in either of my macs. I think people lose sight of the fact they think it's so cool to use on the road, but it would be a horrible experience given the restrictions of our current 3g speed/congestion/lack of coverage provided.

Plus wh the hell wants to hold this thing out in front of you the entire time your talking to someone. Take a 1lb weight and hold it out in front of your face for 10m and then tell me how cool this would be. This is not a comfortable way to hold a device even if it is only 1.5lbs.

The alternative, sitting on your lap and I get to see up someone's nose and their double chin, I'll pass :p

11. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

The fact that such a wide bezel is required points out one of the flaws of this device: it's too big and unwieldy! The perfect size would be something that could be held in the palm of your hand, about as wide as the iPhone is tall, resulting in an 8" screen. I could tolerate a 3/4" dead area around the home button, which would allow for holding the iPad in one hand while in landscape mode. Anything beyond that is a waste of space, adding unnecessary weight.

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

On the data plan sharing thing - go check and see if on other phones, AT&T offers tethering for free.

I doubt it, these 2 plans are probably cheaper than their tethering charge, or right at the same cost.

I'm shocked that people actually think that an American wireless company would have it be on the customers side when it comes to pricing tethering.

Heck, i was planning on getting the Palm Pixi from Verizon because of the hot-spot app. But i'm not paying $30 data, and $40 tethering to ONLY use data on my Touch. Back to the drawing board.....

13. WytRaven macrumors 6502

And you are adding unnecessary weight to this planet. Please get off it.

Seriously though, the number of utterly ridiculous opinions being expressed in this forum today is just mind boggling. Try actually thinking on a subject for more than 3 seconds before posting. This twitter generation is really starting to get on my nerves.

14. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

How about you get off your high horse, sherriff, and actually contribute something to the discussion, instead spewing useless drivel about the twitter generation. I don't twitter. Not that it matters here.