Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Gosh, I am getting so bored of the "iPhone version 1.0.2 is the current version" message, as I posted yesterday.

So, I have decided to start a thread that all people can come to whilst they wait for the iPhone update.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I've pretty much given up on checking for updates in iTunes. Im just waiting until it shows up in my RSS reader. But I am growing impatiant.

RidleyGriff

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Something tells me they wouldn't have introduced the new 1.1 featues -- especially so casually -- if it wasn't a smallish update that was coming very soon (i.e., with the WiFi itunes store capability, which we know will be here within the month).

I think the 11/9 launch has to do with the 1.2 Revision firmware, which I think will arrive with Leopard... with which it will have some exciting integration...

ihrs

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
What does an update mean for someone with programs installed like iBrickr, is it wise to restore the phone before updating the firmware then re-installing the programs?

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I get this feeling you have a long wait ahead of you.Why else would the iPhone be launching in November in Europe?

Hmm but, here is something that was posted officially,
Availability of the Wifi Music Store for the iPhone is expected "in a few weeks."

I don't know but I think that November is too far out for an iPhone update that has already been announced and even shown already, finished. But, Apple said that WWDC '07 would bring Leopard, but it didn't, so just keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I hope it happens sometime after Tuesday next week. Why? Because I am not getting my iPhone until then and I need to unlock it to use it with Rogers.

I've downloaded the current firmware for the phone to my computer. Does anyone know if I will be able to install it after this next firmware is released?

diddy

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
The thing I'm looking forward to most is video-out. This will be my first iPod that can do that!

@Redneck1089
There's gotta be a trick. I was updating a friend's iPhone on a plane with my Macbook, to which I had not yet downloaded the 1.0.2 firmware. iTunes knew about 1.0.2, but since there was no network to download it with, iTunes asked if I wanted 1.0.1 instead. Worked a charm. So, perhaps you'll just need to find where those firmware images live on your hard drive, drop in the firmware you've already downloaded, and update without a connection.

Just a thought-ish hunch. :cool:

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
This is on page 95 of the iPhone manual on Apple's website:

Carrier
When you’re in another country, you can choose which local carrier network to use for
your phone calls and EDGE Internet connections if more than one network is available.
You can only make calls on carriers that have roaming agreements with AT&T.
Additional fees may apply. Any international roaming charges will be billed by the
carrier of the selected network through AT&T.
For information about international coverage and how to enable roaming, go to:
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international
Select a carrier for phone calls
m Choose Carrier and select the network you want to use.
Once you select a network, iPhone will only use that network. If the network is
unavailable, “No service” will appear on the iPhone screen and you won’t be able to
make or receive calls, or connect to the Internet via EDGE. Set Network Settings to
Automatic to have iPhone select a network for you.

I don't have this setting, as far as I know. So I think this is in reference to 1.1.1 features. If they're posting user documentation on new features on the website, it can't be so far from release, right?

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
The thing I'm looking forward to most is video-out. This will be my first iPod that can do that!

@Redneck1089
There's gotta be a trick. I was updating a friend's iPhone on a plane with my Macbook, to which I had not yet downloaded the 1.0.2 firmware. iTunes knew about 1.0.2, but since there was no network to download it with, iTunes asked if I wanted 1.0.1 instead. Worked a charm. So, perhaps you'll just need to find where those firmware images live on your hard drive, drop in the firmware you've already downloaded, and update without a connection.

Just a thought-ish hunch. :cool:

That's an interesting idea. I definitely have the current firmware already downloaded to my computer. When I get the iPhone I could most likely disconnect from the internet so iTunes can't grab the newest firmware from the net, and just put the firmware I already downloaded in its place.

Sound like it'd work? :confused::confused:

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
This is on page 95 of the iPhone manual on Apple's website:

I don't have this setting, as far as I know. So I think this is in reference to 1.1.1 features. If they're posting user documentation on new features on the website, it can't be so far from release, right?

These settings only show when you are out of the country...

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
So does anyone think that'd work--turn the internet off on my computer when I update the iPhone so I can prevent it from switching to the upcoming firmware and just use the downloaded firmware I already have?

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Well the next friday is the 28th....There was an article on digg that stated those finding...Who knows where they got it from

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.