Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
FWIW, my Bold had 3G from day 1. I don't remember if my Curve did or not.

And I only just jailbroke this morning, but I haven't noticed any effect on signal stability and I haven't had any problems (so far) with any of the apps I had prior to jailbreaking not working or working weirdly. Time will tell, I suppose.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Try several locations before coming to the conclusion that your radio is at fault. It's August and thick foliage will have a HUGE effect on radio signals. Last year at this time I thought my new 3G was junk. This year I realize it's the bazillion trees, cornfields and who knows what else between me and the nearest tower which isn't all that close to start with.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
I've jailbroken my iPhone 3g since day one (one year ago). I've been experiencing more issues lately what its worth. For examples, the cell/data signals are weak, almost no 3g when compared to iPhones that are not jailbroken in the same room. Phone gets suck and a reboot is required. All iTunes purchased Apps dies after the reboot.
Having the ability to tether via PDANet is nice, running Slingbox over 3g is cool too, but I'm not getting good 3g signals so it makes the apps useless. So I am going to revert back to standard OS 3.0.1.

Are any of you having the same experience/thoughts?

When I got my first 3GS, the jailbreak tools was'nt ready yet, so I used it with the stock firmware.

The reception was okay for a while, and then it developed problem. I would get very weak 3G and wifi signal. Very often I had "No service" for the cell signal too. I went to see the Genius, and they restored the firmware and asked me to monitor it. It was okay for a day, and the problem came back. This is all on stock firmware. I knew it was'nt the Telco's fault because I have my old 3G side by side to make the comparision. The 3G was jailbroken and was having strong 3G and wifi; whereas the 3GS with stock firmware was having unreliable signal strength.

I took all the screen capture to show them the problem, and they gave me a replacement, telling me that is probably from a defective batch with signal reception defect.

On the new 3GS, I have no reception problem either on the stock or jailborken firmware. At one stage, I did have GPS reception problem and thought that I need a second replacement. It turned out that after I did a firmware restore (and I took the opportunity to go from 3.0 to 3.0.1 as well), the GPS signal problem went away for good.

I would say that you may be having a hardware defect that could be confirmed by getting a replacement.

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Pandora Not Working On 3G.

I've been noticing this for the last two days so the best way I can show you is by screen caps. Every time I load up Pandora in the car on 3G, I get the error message shown below. I kept hitting their retry button but it wasn't loading my channels. For some odd reason I switched my network setting to Edge through SBSettings and sure enough, Pandora launched no problem. The only thing I do not like about Pandora through the Edge network is that it takes a while to load the next song. Loading time is cut in half with 3G as you all already know. I'll leave it jailbroken for now but I haven't had any problems with other native apps. Btw, I just jailbroke my phone this past Saturday for the second time. The first was last year and my phone was buggy as sin but I did realize a major improvement in JB software. I still believe that Cydia's store is an absolute mess and somewhat intimidates the noobie but now that many former app store developers are joining the darkside, I believe that through their influence and upcoming killer must have apps, the scene will get even bigger and more organized.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 30
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 28

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
I'm also thinking I need to restore my iPhone to stock... Since I used redsn0w to jailbreak my 3GS on 3.0.1, I have been having issues with stock apps freezing, not rotating the keyboard, and other such strangeness. I did not have any of these issues with 3.0 and purplera1n. Not sure if I'll rejailbreak or wait until a reliable 3.1 jailbreak is released...

I noticed this too on my 3G. 3.0 Jailbreak worked fine but then I had small issues with 3.0.1. I just restored back to stock and now all is fine. Not sure if the jailbreak is worth it anymore.

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
using 2.2.1 JB my phone would constantly go into airplane mode.
3.0 does it ever once in awhile

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
A Couple More Updates.

Kudos for the screen cap feature.

I've been noticing a couple of semi-serious issues when attemting to use some apps on 3G. As posted above, my Pandora does not work at all on 3G. If somebody else is having problems, please post your experiences.

The Bank Of America app is the second issue I'm having with. See screenies below. I've tried to load and reload several times on 3G until it loaded no problem on the EDGE and of course wifi. Both networks had full bars.

Next, there was an issue with my Mail app. No matter where I'm at, I always get my email on 3G before I jailbroke. Now, I can only get it to fetch my emails on the EDGE network or wifi.

I have no problem with switching networks to acquire my email or use the apps mentioned but for me, jailbreaking still outweighs the small quirks. The main problem with the jailbreaking community is that there's no proper funding or central organization. It's just a bunch of really smart and ambitious programmers who really "think different" and bring some great ideas to the table but they're not making any money. If Apple allowed the selling of themes for the iPhone and iPod Touch in the App Store, me and millions of other customers would buy them all day long! Apple knows this and the profit margins would be beyond insane. I don't know why they won't allow it.

Jailbreaking takes the iPhone experience to the next level with apps...I'm sorry, "Packages" like SBSettings, WinterBoard and Backgrounder which should be built in iPhone OS features to begin with. If not all then at least some of those features.

Attachments

• IMG_1653.PNG
    IMG_1653.PNG
    139.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1654.PNG
    IMG_1654.PNG
    47.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1655.PNG
    IMG_1655.PNG
    101.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1656.PNG
    IMG_1656.PNG
    127.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1657.PNG
    IMG_1657.PNG
    51.2 KB · Views: 28
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.