I'm liking 10.9 but

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by wilsonjm, Dec 13, 2013.

1. wilsonjm macrumors newbie

these are the issues I'm having, hopefully they will be addressed with 10.9.1

1. Safari hangs probably once a day. When I load a webpage, the progress bar gets about 2 inches and stops. Restarting the browser doesn't help, nor does logging off/back on. It's a network issue because it also makes other programs like Mail hang, basically anything which uses a network connection. Sometimes there is a hung process in Activity Monitor but not always. All I can do is reboot, which is so quick that I now do this rather than troubleshoot.

2. Mavericks keeps switching my chosen wallpaper back to the default. I've read that this is due to a change in the way Mavericks works. No big deal, I expect 10.9.1 will resolve this.

3. magic mouse/trackpad losing connection after sleep. this isn't new to Mavericks, it's been an issue for a long time. I guess it's a long-running Bluetooth issue.

Btw, I performed a clean install.

2 and 3 are annoying but issue 1 is really a problem. I can't remember having to reboot as often as I do now, even Windows was never this bad. I have a suspicion that Safari hanging could be caused by Netflix, so maybe it's a flash/adobe issue. Or is it Silverlight?

Anyway, I'm sure some of these will soon be fixed and like I said, I am enjoying 10.9 and still love my iMac...

2. Bear macrumors G3

When was the last time Microsot updated Silverlight? It seems to be a dead product now.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Problem is Netflix needs it, so does the Logitech Harmony software.

4. wilsonjm thread starter macrumors newbie

update

it's not caused by Netflix. This happened to me again (Safari hanging and having to reboot) after watching Youtube.

Terminated everything to do with Safari in Activity Monitor but it didn't help. Had to force quit Mail to be able to restart (which is another issue with OS X).

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I'm utterly fascinated by how many Mac folks swear by Safari. It always has been a terrible browser, always will be a terrible browser. I've had fewer issues with Internet Explorer than it. Hell, even Opera (a browser I've rated below Safari) cleaned up its act and is now a pretty darn good product. With Safari, it's been one small step to the side and one giant leap off a cliff, version after version.

OP, have you tried using Firefox, Chrome, or Opera to see if you have the same issues?

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

what's the problem with safari? it's my browser of choice, has been (mostly) stable for years, and in mavericks has been better than ever...

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

8. 2trout macrumors member

no problems what so ever with Safari for the past 6 years of using it, it is my browser of choice, cannot ever recall it hanging up, unlike Firefox & IE, and don't even talk to me about Chrome!!!

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I know! I had to install it for school one time and it used 50-80% CPU and really downgraded my performance. Now I only use IE in VMWare when I need to use it (which is like once every three months).

I agree with you. Safari is my favorite browser, all things considered. It does randomly hang when browsing for some maddening reason, but quitting and reopening or just opening a new tab usually does the trick.

10. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Safari works very well on my computer. And it is well integrated with the rest of the OS. I run Chrome on my work PC, but I've never for an instant thought of replacing Safari on my MacBook.

11. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

I'm utterly fascinated by how many people swear by any browser.

Replace Safari with Firefox and/or Chrome(shudder) in the above post, and it could be something I might write. But I won't, as I really don't think anyone cares what my browser of choice happens to be.

There are many equally good/bad alternatives, and many seem to very strongly prefer one of them over any other. Whichever it happens to be, seems quite random really.

12. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Very happy with SAFARI here, since I got my MBPro 3 years ago.

13. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Have never been a safari fan for a number of reasons:

1. It's not cross-platform. I much prefer to share bookmarks and settings across multiple machines, and you can't use Safari on a PC (at least not any modern version of it).

2. It feels slow.

3. I hate the 3d style grid view for bookmarks (though admittedly that is now fixed in mavericks)

4. No omni-bar (at least in 10.6.8). On top of that, when you click into the URL bar to go to a new site, the text isn't pre-highlighted for you, which means you have to do command-a first and then start typing. So stupid.

5. Most websites just don't do a very thorough compatibility check with Safari. With firefox and chrome you're almost guaranteed that a site will work.

14. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

not slow here, omni-bar in latest version, auto-highlights all text. i have no issues (of note) in safari (and no issues with anyone using whatever browser); it's all the same web, after all... :cool:

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I just want them to fix the friggin WiFi. The number of times I have to reboot my router since upgrading to Mavericks is driving me nuts.