im lookin for a cheap car mount

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Che Castro, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

2. drkash macrumors regular

3. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

yes this is cheap enough

where can i get this in america?

4. drkash macrumors regular

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Univers...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283372381&sr=8-1

I can't vouch for the windshield mount, though others here use them. I have the vent mount only version in two cars and after working out the best way to clip it in, it's been rock solid in both. Relatively cheap and fits any phone, so Jo BS about having to do this all over again next year when the iPhone-whatever comes out. It also swivels to horizontal, which is great for navigation software like Navigon. And the vent mount height means it's at eye level and within easy reach. I'm only sorry I didn't think to buy one years ago.

6. ihonda macrumors 68000

must find a usa seller for this! i love it

7. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

8. ihonda macrumors 68000

9. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

IrishVixen that one looks kinda big

I like the one drkash posted

but you tellin me in this day and age peopel dont make there product available for america?

these guys are loosing tons of money do they know americans are stupid with there money and would buy anything :p

so i cant this dash genie in the states via amazon or somewhere similar? i dont do ebay

10. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

11. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

12. drkash macrumors regular

Received my Dash Genie today - a brief review (using my iphone 4 with Incase snap smoke case):
    - the dash/windscreen suction works really well and is strong
    - the red area which sticks to the iphone doesn't seem all that strong - the phone falls off after a few minutes when horizontal. However when vertical the phone hasn't fallen off so far (maybe because of the support arms which support the bottom of the phone)

Overall I'd say it'll suit my needs as I can use it vertically. £15 is reasonable, however I certainly wouldnt pay the extra to ship it to the states for anyone considering that

13. drkash macrumors regular

Found a different one...

Just been looking for any other mounts and found another which also looks good - the $20 version only attaches to the air vent and not to the dash/windscreen. For the $35 they sell one with the windscreen mount

http://www.clingo.com/car-mounts/universal-vent-mount

A couple of reviews and a video on here
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/clingo-universal-vent-mount-p25791.htm

And its available in the states from the first link!

ps. on the faq section they mention that it doesn't work fully with the iphone4 without a case (but ok with a case) - theyre working on a iphone4 specific version - but if you use a case then it will be ok

14. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I got one that clips to the vent for $20 from bestbuy. Holds the tomtom as well if needed

15. drkash macrumors regular

Are you referring to the Clingo? How do you find it? Is it quite sticky? Any problems with the iphone 4 falling off? Do you use your iphone with a case?
    Thanks

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Someone else reviewed this on this forum just before they returned it, a search should bring that up. But in a nutshell, a mount really isn't any good if it doesn't actually hold the phone. Coolness factor aside, I'd never trust a sticky mount to hold a device as expensive at this one at 70 MPH. Then again, I'd never trust another suction cup mount either. I've had too many of them fall off into my lap while in other people's cars!

Vent mount, charger mount, or floor mount only for me--or something semi-custom like the ProClip than snaps in between the dashboard pieces. The Arkon vent mount works well in my case (it's barely bigger than the phone when the sides are clamped) and it cost me all of $12. Otherwise, I would have spent the extra for the ProClip and considered it good insurance against destroying a $600 phone.

17. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

i dont know what it's called. It clips onto the vents, nothing sticky. But it's basically looks like a plastic vice grip, clipped onto the vent. It will work with any case, and any phone.

18. drkash macrumors regular

I just read that review - one guy found it great and another not so
    I also just read a few reviews on it on the xda site with people using it with their HTC Evo - they all seemed happy with it - and bear in mind the Evo is a lot heavier than the iphone 4 so if it holds that then we should have no problems!

I think I'm gonna return my dash genie for this!
    ps Apparently amazon.com also sells it

19. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

can u post the link?

20. vaper macrumors newbie

...a cheap car mount? I can't remember her last name but I do recall if you bought her a 2 or 3 beers she'd usually hop right into the back seat....;)

21. nden macrumors member

I'm using the Macally mGrip one. It's around $15

I did a little mod to it.

[​IMG]

More photos on my blog site

22. drexfish macrumors newbie

www.breffo.com wirth a look

It costs $20 but it does double duty as a desk or bike dock/ grip. I like it becuase I can pull it out wihtout a trace within a few minutes and swap it to any car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

24. iTechboy macrumors newbie

im lookin for a cheap car mount

Hey has anyone bought their car mounts from this place?
    https://www.buyautogripit.com
    The site seems to offer it all when it comes to holding your gadgets in place