Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Hello,

Im looking at getting a used mac pro, and i was looking at getting it off macofalltrades, or if u know a better site to get it from i would like to know what u think. but im not sure what is the oldest i can go before not being able to put the newest os x on it. i see things from 06 and just think that it will not be able to run any of the new os. i plan to upgrade the ram, and gpu. but not cpu. im looking at doing some gaming on it like sim city, and star craft 2. but this will be my first mac im done with allways using windows.

thanks for the help!:apple:

Volker!

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hello,

Im looking at getting a used mac pro, and i was looking at getting it off macofalltrades, or if u know a better site to get it from i would like to know what u think. but im not sure what is the oldest i can go before not being able to put the newest os x on it. i see things from 06 and just think that it will not be able to run any of the new os. i plan to upgrade the ram, and gpu. but not cpu. im looking at doing some gaming on it like sim city, and star craft 2. but this will be my first mac im done with allways using windows.

thanks for the help!:apple:

Volker!

Hi Volker. The best Mac Pro you can buy is a 2009 Mac Pro with model identifier 4.1. It can run the latest Mountain Lion OSX or even the new Maverick 10.9. Not sure about your budget, if you can get the quad 2.93ghz 4 core or the 2.26ghz 8 core since your task will not be that demanding. The 2.26ghz isn't exactly the fastest or not exactly a high spec machine but price wise it's one of the most affordable for your needs. Avoid the 2006-2007 Mac Pros as it cannot run the latest OS and not yet 64bit. Good luck.

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
...Im looking at getting a used mac pro, and i was looking at getting it off macofalltrades...

I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I have been stalking a couple of older items to use for my recording studio. I checked into them a while back and was happy with the reviews and comments I found about them.

PowerMax is one I have also heard good things about, and they also have a much better selection than MOAT, although their prices seem to be higher across the board.

Macsonic is correct about the 4,1. It should also run Mavericks, but I don't think that's official yet.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
DP previews of Mavericks are running on 3,1 Mac Pros. Conjecture is that any 64 bit machine that will run Mountain Lion will also run Mavericks.

Lou

Volker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for all the help, im not sure what is the best price for one... from 09 what do u think is a fair price for just a basic one?

thanks again
Volker

----------

i know that u said 09 is the oldest, i found one from 08 that fits the bill, but that one will not be able to run the newest os?

thanks again sorry i have so many questions.

Volker:apple:

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Thanks for all the help, im not sure what is the best price for one... from 09 what do u think is a fair price for just a basic one?

thanks again
Volker

----------

i know that u said 09 is the oldest, i found one from 08 that fits the bill, but that one will not be able to run the newest os?

thanks again sorry i have so many questions.

Volker:apple:
Compared to 2008 (3,1) Mac Pros, 2009 (4,1) or later Mac Pros use less expensive memory, and are upgradeable to meet or exceed the fastest current Mac Pro. The 2009 uses faster Westmere Xeon CPUs. You can readily buy the 2009 4,1 Quad 2.66 for about $800 US or less. You can upgrade any 4,1 quad to a 5,1 3.33 hex CPU for under $600. You can update the GPU, too.

It appears 3,1; 4,1; or 5,1 will all run Mavericks, as will certainly the forthcoming 6,1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.