I'm looking for a Digital Clock App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ukcreation, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ukcreation macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a Digital Clock App to use as a bedside clock that will show the time when I press a button or touch the screen, but otherwise show a blank screen.

Having tried most of the popular digital clock apps, I can't find one that does this.

All appear to:
    a) remain permanently on - which means there is light being emitted which I don't want (I love my pitch dark room)

or b) only switch off when the screen locks, requiring the entry of a passcode which, if I'm half asleep, is not something with which I want to have to be bothered.

I'd be very grateful if you could point me in the direction of such an App if it exists!

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I don't think the SDK lets you do this. I mean sure they could technically show a lit up blank black screen, which is maybe what you are wanting, but this still emits light and is visible.

4. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

This is the program I use. I don't even have an alarm clock/bed side clock anymore. I just dock my iPhone next to my bed, launch it (and dim it) and go to bed. The alarm wakes me up and it even has a snooz button.

5. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I use NightStand as the gentlemen above noted, I find it to be a great app, it's a digital clock and it's not so bright that it disrupts your sleep, trust me I am person that needs it basically virtually black in my room to sleep. Try it out...

6. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I don't know of an app that turns off the screen but I too use and love Nightstand.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I would consider Night Stand but I need white noise to sleep (I have bad ringing in one of my ears called tinnitus).

If someone made an application that functioned as an alarm clock and also did the white noise for an hour or two when I went to sleep it could replace my work/travel alarm clock.

8. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

You could play music (of your choice) in the background.

I have some great sleep inducing music. :)

Edit: Night Stand is an excellent app.

9. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

uggh

I maybe in the minority here, I just use the alarms that come on the phone they pretty loud and can be irritating :confused:.

10. Tannerozzy macrumors regular

Tannerozzy

Isn't the lock screen EXACTLY what you're looking for?
    It goes blank when you don't need it, and you just tap the home button to light it up and show you the time.

Now could everyone help me find an app that resembles a note pad that i could type little notes into?
    </sarcasm>

but really, unless i'm missing something, all the functionality you want comes built in right there on the phone

11. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

What about an alarm clock that you can assign an IPOD song as the alarm?

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Doesn't the....built in alarm do it?

13. meglet macrumors member

meglet

Nope.

AlarmTunes (mentioned here in the App forum somewhere) and Hard Awakening are the only two I know of that let you wake to iPod music right now. Unfortunately, both apps kill any music that is playing when you launch them. I believe the author of AlarmTunes is working on a sleep timer.

Personally, I use The Alarm Clock on my iPhone. It has a sleep timer that can be set from off to 60 minutes, the built-in sounds are pretty good, and you can add your own alarm sounds to the app. Wake to music is in development for a future version. For the screen, you can set the clock to "barely on" and it's pretty dark, but not completely off, and would be noticeable in a pitch black room. My solution to THAT issue is to set the clock a little brighter and throw a spare pillow in front of the phone to block the light, then when I need to see the time I just pull the pillow aside for a second. Easier than trying to reach for my iPhone in the dark when I'm mostly asleep.

14. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Turn on your sleep timer as would normally. After that, pick the song you want to play and start playing it. Then open up the app you want to use, thus stopping the music. Double tap home, and hit play causing the music to play again. Then it will turn off after the sleep timer ends, but the other app will remain open!

15. threezero macrumors 6502

Question for you guys that use night stand or similiar apps. Hav eyou notice any pixel being burn in? My screen is prone to occasionally having a few stuck pixel, I'm worry that leaving the app over night might just make the "stuck" pixel permanent

16. Rynology macrumors regular

Rynology

ukcreation I'm not sure if this will help you but we (AlarmTunes) have submitted an update to Apple for the background to allow for a black screen with digitally lit numbers (nightmode) allowing for it to be much easier on the eye in a dark room. Let us know if you have any questions and we will keep everyone posted on when the update is available.