I'm looking for a good, cheap printer. $50 or so...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattcube64, May 10, 2007.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Alright, I have a pretty good HP printer in my room, for document printing and some picture processing.

However, my mom's printer recently broke. So, I figured I'd get her one for Mother's Day. She doesn't need anything fancy, at all. The only thing she'll be printing is some web pages, maybe a couple Word Docs, and very (VERY) rarely a picture.

I was looking at Walmart, and they had a few sub $50 printers. That's all she needs. When looking this cheap, what's the best brand to go with? I was looking at Canon, and they seemed pretty solid.

Any suggestions? Any particular models?
    Thanks.

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I got a HP D5160 for £20 at the apple store. So thats abotu $11 for you american folks. Doubt its still that price now though, but its a great printer, and it suits the mac look.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Other way around, that is like $40 for us.

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

my bad. I get so confused easily:(

5. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I think they're still around, but I may be wrong. I've had an HP Deskjet 3520 for 3+ years without a problem. Used it on my PC and when I switched to Mac, it did the same. I use it for the same things your mother needs it for. Mostly text documents, articles and a few pictures. Nice and small and considering its price, it has a pretty fast printing rate. The quality is great for the price. I can't remember what I paid, but a quick google came up with $35-45 price range :D .