I'm looking for a mp3 tag editing program for Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, May 19, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I recently just switched from Windows and I've used Softpointer's Tag & Rename which was an incredible program for editing hundreds and hundreds of mp3 files at a time.

Is there a recommended program for Mac like Tag & Rename?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I just use iTunes. I use the Command button to select as many tracks as I want, then press Command+I to edit the information.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the information guys but neither of the ones mentioned are as full featured as "Tag & Rename". I know tag and rename is a paid application, so can someone recommend a paid one like T&R?

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Personally, I like TriTag. It's a free program, but it does what I want.
    Perhaps you should let us know what you want specifically in your MP3 tag editing program. Or let us know what T&R did that was so spectacular.

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I just looked at TriTag and it looks as though it may do what I need it to do. Tag & Rename was I was just so used to using and being [new to Mac's] it was one program that I'll miss. I'll give TriTag a shot and see what it can do for me.

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I just tried using TriTag and it doesn't do at least one thing I went to try and do [or at least I couldn't figure out how to].

What I have is Billboards Top 100 Pop Singles from every year from 1946 to 2001. When I was ripping them I didn't name the album for each year differently. So in iTunes they just show up as a bunch [I mean a BUNCH] of songs from random artists.

I want to easily rename each album accordingly. In my mp3 library I have each album in a separate folder for each year. So what I want to do is rename the album "Billboards Top 100 for 19??"

I didn't see an easily way to do this.

8. macffooky macrumors regular

If you're OK with commercial software then I'd very much recommend Media Rage.

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I'd say if you cant find a good replacement on the mac side just yet, perhaps install a small bootcamp partition or run Fusion or Parallels and stick to what you had before if thats possible?

I personally just use iTunes and edit by hand in each directory.
    It takes longer but I get what exactly I want.

I used Tagr and other apps like that to only run into other problems;
    when opening in itunes the tracks wouldnt be organized instead track 1 of 10 itd be track 1 of blank and it would generally change the genre and other small discrepancies so i just stuck with the tried and true of hand done.

obviously youre not looking for that but maybe go back to your other program with the initial suggestion?

10. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I've read the FAQ's for Media Range and it looks as though it is the most thorough ID tag editing program I've seen for the Mac. I'm gonna give it a try and it looks as though it will do what I just tried with TriTag and had problems doing it easily or at all.

Thanks for the recommendation!!!!