I'm looking for some FCP tutorials, plus my first video.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by w...b, Dec 21, 2009.

1. w...b macrumors regular

I've used iMovie in the past but I want to learn something a little more professional. But now that I got Final Cut Studio from my school I'm completely lost. I tried to make a small video of time elapsed traveling to Toronto and it took me forever to figure out the simplest things. Even then I had to go to iMovie to figure out how to add some text to the video.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's my first video. Garbage I know. (I have no idea how to embed here)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifF3CzPN1hc

2. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Tutorials - search on youtube. There are a ton of good tutorials as long as you know what to search for. Watch a tutorial and then go back and try to do it. I am in no way a pro or anything like that. It is just my experience from learning on how to use it. For me I could watch how to do it once and then know what I'm doing as I tried to reenact it. If I tried to initially learn with a book, I'd just be flipping back and forth between the book and FCP constantly.

Also, with the video. It wasn't bad, but I would have went through the movie and picked out some of the scenes you like, cut them out and insert them into the movie in normal speed with some transitions just to break up the monotonous.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

LAFCPUG has some good tutorials. They are write ups.

CreativeCow and MacBreak has video tutorials. Type that into iTunes Store search box.

I'm sure there are many tutorials on sites such as YouTube.

P.S. Here is my time lapse from L.A. to Vancouver.

4. danimal99 macrumors regular

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There is a very good, very extensive manual that came w/FCP and it's a perfect place to start to learn the program.

Lethal

6. w...b thread starter macrumors regular

I know but I only got the CDs. It's meant for film students.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The manual comes as a PDF so all you have to do is open up FCP and go to "Help."

Lethal

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

An easy way to create text in Final Cut is to use the video generators in the effects tab. Just select text generator and drag it to the timeline. Then you can change the settings in the control window. However, that's only good for basic text and I much prefer to make my text in Photoshop and import the file . Figure out what size your video is (probably 720x480), then create a Photoshop document the same size. Type your text in there and then save and import it into FC. If you make changes later, all you have to do is update the file or reimport it.

The best way to learn Final Cut is to do what you're doing... just get in there and have fun working on a project.

9. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Lynda.com

I took my lessons from lynda.com
    last i checked it was $25 for a month subscription. this way you can watch it on any computer including at school.