Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
England, U.K
Im looking for some software, to turn one of my macs into a type of Network Storage computer and be able to access external HD's aswell (If you know what I mean) (You can do this by connecting to mac from the network folder, but is there some software available to do this)?

Thanks
J

wightstraker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Turn on FTP and Remote Login in the Sharing pane in System Preferences. This will allow you to connect to your mac via ftp, ssh, or sftp. You might want to create an extra user account just for file storage and transfer if you want to restrict access to certain directories.

You'll be able to connect to your mac using a good ftp/sftp client. I recommend Fugu. Your address will look like this:

<username>@<ip address>

If you know your way around the terminal, the following commands will work:

sftp <username>@<ip address> Connect to your mac.

get <filename> Download a file.

put <filename> Upload a file.

If you want to connect to your new file server outside your home network, you'll have to set up port forwarding on your router, which should be explained in your router's manual. You'll want to forward all traffic from port 22.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.