I'm looking for suggestions for new speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NIPRING, Feb 25, 2009.

1. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy new speakers for my new(new for me anyway) PowerMac G5. My old set up was a 2.1 (two speakers and a sub). But now i dont want anything with a subwoofer, just 2 really nice speakers. I was looking at the Bose Companion 2 Series 2 speakers, but before i buy anything I was hoping for some suggestions and opinions.
    thanks

2. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I was going to suggest JBL Creature II speakers but then read you didn't want a subwoofer.

My friend has some Bose Companion 2's, they're awesome.

3. NIPRING thread starter macrumors 6502

Are they the series 1 or 2? Series 1 has the circle of speaker cloth on the front of each speaker while series 2 has no circle on the front. I'm assuming they have a decent range, they are Bose. I just dont think i've ever really needed the subwoofer i had. And it took up room i dont have.

4. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Audioengine A2's FTW!

If 2.0 is your criteria (which I can relate to, was in same boat) then I can whole heartedly recommended the Audioengine A2's. They are amazing little speakers, awesome SQ, amazing low end for their size and excellent fit and finish. Plenty of reviews around... hope that helps, I love mine! :D

5. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

they look butt ugly though :D

6. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

LOL... always in the eye of the beholder. They are simple cubes for sure, available in black or white. But the sound quality is well worth their look IMHO... :)

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

lol. have you ever seen a really ugly soprano?

Dame Kiri Te Kanawa is a perfect example of beautiful form matched with a pair of lungs to match.

all i'm saying is it looks like the Audioengine A2 was designed by an engineer rather than an industrial designer

8. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Definitely no argument there! It's certainly an engineer designed system with more stress on function over form/fashion.

I'm no Bose fan at all... but I will say that their little MusicMonitors are pretty good sound wise, and definitely have a better "look". Also quite a bit more cost too... about twice the price.

9. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

10. NIPRING thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Tom Sawyer, i took your advice and i just ordered a pair of black A2s from Mac-Pro Systems off ebay. Everyplace i saw them for sale they were $199 ....everywhere:confused:. However I just happened to click on Mac-Pro's particular BIN ebay auction and saw that they had a discount "coupon" for $15 off to be applied at checkout, with free shipping to boot. So i paid $185 for brand new A2s with free UPS ground shipping and $1 for insurance. I'll let you know when they arrive and how they sound to me.
    thanks
    Bill

11. NIPRING thread starter macrumors 6502

Marbles, your suggestions were excellent too. The Genelecs were high quality to be sure but waaaaay out of my price range :eek:. And the Rokits were at the same price point as the Audioengine A2s, but they were a bit big (even the smallest rokit 5s were 11"H x 7"w x 10"D) for my modest computer desk. But I appreciate your suggestions none the less. Thanks

12. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Congrats! I think you will be very pleased with them. That's a good price for sure; There was a coupon for 10% off at Audioengine when I bought them but it was a while back too.

Do give them a little time to break in too... mine warmed up noticeably with a couple weeks of use. BTW... you are not going to believe how much air these little guys move... If I'm listening to something with some bass in it and have a piece of paper in front of the speaker... it will move the paper with the beat! :D

13. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Yeah , I know the Genelecs expensive but I did say if you were serious,...mind you you'd have to be really serios to spend that kind of coin.

Ah, I didn't realise size was that much of a concern .

I think you got some decent speakers for the money so enjoy ...but don't annoy the neighbours too much eh ;)

no worries will help anytime , if I can .

regards,

~m

14. NIPRING thread starter macrumors 6502

They came today. Even the packaging was nice. Each speaker was in its own soft cloth drawstring sack as well as sacks for the different cables. And they sound great! Thanks :D

15. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

That's awesome, glad to hear you are enjoying them! Quite a bit of sound out of those little guys eh? And truly, they get better with time.

Enjoy! :)