I'm looking to buy a MBP for video editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by okizen, Jan 21, 2012.

1. okizen macrumors member

As I'm intending to become a first buyer/user, I'm looking to buy a MBP, mainly for video editing so I would like advice as to whether to get the 15" or 17 with 8GB ram. And would the 2.4GHz machine be good enough for video editing or should I go for the 2.5GHz?

Thanx.

2. simsaladimbamba

What application will you use for editing and what kind of footage will you edit?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have the 17", but if you can get away without the extra real estate, I'd go for the 15'...As posted, we don't know which applications you intend to use, so it's hard to make a definitive call on this.

The 17" is a superb machine, but it's heavy....REALLY heavy to cart around. I love it, but now have an MBA 13" so whenever I can, I try to leave the Pro at home....My arms are longer than they used to be:)

4. okizen thread starter macrumors member

I'll be using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere CS5+

How heavy is the your 17"? At the moment I have a 17" Sager laptop and that's pretty heavy! And I won't be carting around my MBP laptop too often.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The 17" comes in at 3KG or just over 6.5 lbs....if you aren't going to be carrying around much, then go for it...It's a superb display.

6. okizen thread starter macrumors member

Are there any gains in speed using the 2.5GHz over the 2.4GHz, particularly in video editing, or are the differences not that great?

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I went top end, so can't give you a direct comparison I'm afraid...What's the price difference? You might be able to gently haggle the faster CPU....I did:)

8. okizen thread starter macrumors member

OK and thanx.