I'm looking to buy a MBP for video editing

okizen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
As I'm intending to become a first buyer/user, I'm looking to buy a MBP, mainly for video editing so I would like advice as to whether to get the 15" or 17 with 8GB ram. And would the 2.4GHz machine be good enough for video editing or should I go for the 2.5GHz?

Thanx.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have the 17", but if you can get away without the extra real estate, I'd go for the 15'...As posted, we don't know which applications you intend to use, so it's hard to make a definitive call on this.

The 17" is a superb machine, but it's heavy....REALLY heavy to cart around. I love it, but now have an MBA 13" so whenever I can, I try to leave the Pro at home....My arms are longer than they used to be:)

okizen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
What application will you use for editing and what kind of footage will you edit?
I'll be using Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere CS5+

I have the 17", but if you can get away without the extra real estate, I'd go for the 15'...As posted, we don't know which applications you intend to use, so it's hard to make a definitive call on this.

The 17" is a superb machine, but it's heavy....REALLY heavy to cart around. I love it, but now have an MBA 13" so whenever I can, I try to leave the Pro at home....My arms are longer than they used to be:)
How heavy is the your 17"? At the moment I have a 17" Sager laptop and that's pretty heavy! And I won't be carting around my MBP laptop too often.

okizen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Are there any gains in speed using the 2.5GHz over the 2.4GHz, particularly in video editing, or are the differences not that great?