I'm looking to buy my first MacBook/desktop.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BobRichards, Apr 19, 2010.

1. BobRichards macrumors regular

I just sold my old blackberry and got around $450 for it, what would be a good Mac desktop/laptop to start with for macs? Obviously I plan on spending more then that since it is likely necessary.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you have a monitor already then the mini is the way to go. You can get a refurb mini for about $550 or buy a used one. The cheapest Intel minis go for around $250 used on eBay. Otherwise, Microcenter is selling the MacBook for $799.

3. BobRichards thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea, I totally forgot about the minis. I will probably go that route then just to start off. If I like it, then I will probably get a macpbook ASAP

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This sounds like the way to go as well. You will get the feel for OSX without dishing out $1,100+ for a new MacBook. Then if you like it you can become addicted like the rest of us and spend every dime you have on new products. :D

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Macbooks are *not* $1100.

$799, like flopti said, as long as near you are a microcenter
    http://www.microcenter.com/

$924 after rebate from macconnection (and possibly no tax) -- also a great deal
    http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10681508&cac=FeaturedHome

If you *dont* have a screen, a base 21" iMac is just over $1000 (either macconnection and microcenter), and is more than enough computer to last for many, many, many years. Lots of processor, large screen, plenty of storage, plenty of RAM and ready to go right out of the box, nothing extra to buy...

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Oh, my bad, sir. They are $999. Plus tax. So to buy one here in Texas would be:

$1,081.42

You are right. I was wrong by $18.58

7. mst0192 macrumors member

i would recommend a c2d-macmini. if you buy a used one, you almost lose no money in case you upgrade later.
    i use mine (1,8ghz, 4gb ram, e-sata mod) as primary computer and it feels faster then my dual g5.. :D

8. BobRichards thread starter macrumors regular

I will probably see if I can find a mac mini deal somewhere. Any certain macmini? (year or anything?)

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Whats your budget?

You really want a mini with the 9400M video.

10. BobRichards thread starter macrumors regular

I just don't want to pay too much. I have enough money, but would prefer getting a deal. Haha

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Minis range from $150 for a G4 to $1000 for a new mini server.

Really, though, you want to stay with Intel minis, as follows.

1.5GHz Core Solo and 1.66GHz Core Duo minis start around $250 on eBay.
    1.83GHz and 2.0GHz Core 2 Duos start from about $325-350 from what I have seen. They are about 25% faster than the Core Duos at equivalent clock speeds.

Last year, Apple upgraded the logic board and graphics chip on the mini to the nVidia 9400m from the Intel GMA950. These atart at around $450 from Apple in the refurb store and are probably the best value given that they come with a 1 year warranty.