I'm looking to lower the brightness of the Lockscreen. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kalirob99, Feb 20, 2012.

1. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I have the natural brightness in use fairly low, as it's blinding enough at half. But at night, when I get a text with BiteSMS on the lockscreen, it's like staring into the sun.
    I checked out UnlockBright, hoping it was the answer, but the review videos say nay :(. Any suggestions on how to lower the LS brightness?

2. 3bs, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That's actually a great idea! It always happens to me too.

I'll try out UnlockBright and report back later tonight or earlier if I get a chance to be in a dark room :p

Edit: No it's actually not what we're looking for. It just dims the screen as you slide to unlock. I was hoping you could switch it to the other way round and start out dim and brighten as you slide but you can't.

3. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

SBSettings let you adjust the brightness, but I suspect it is global and not just the lockscreen. It is easy, however, and you can adjust it in the evening.

4. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

+1

Use the brightness toggle in SBSettings to adjust your brightness level rather than the default Settings. It will apply throughout the phone (including the LS).

5. kalirob99, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Glad I'm not the only one bothered, I figured its probably not that great for the battery. Going to medium to full blast off and on lol.
    Interesting, this could be what I'm looking for. Sadly, it doesn't stick for me, looks like its until it locks.
    I wonder what Apple just doesn't have an option to adjust the two separately. :confused: Which it's global, its not sticking once locked. :/ Still nothing permanent.

6. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

It's called you have auto-brightness turned on. Turn it off. And the tweak you're looking for is Dimmer.

7. Ronit macrumors newbie

Why don't you try screen dimmer from the sinfuliphonerepo of cydia? Should do your job.

8. monderick macrumors member

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I want auto brightness on but I don't want the lock screen to be so bright

10. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I tried this a while back, but the color change is just to much. I'd just prefer it stayed the same as set, and followed the brightness I have set in settings.
    This, I already know how auto brightness works. I just world prefer it followed what I have it set to do.

11. tateu macrumors 6502

To me, it just looks like auto brightness is not active on the lockscreen and that's why the brightness changes when you unlock.

12. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. It always sucks when I receive a text message at night and I get blinded by the light..

13. kalirob99 thread starter macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Yeah, it's really bad. I'm a little shocked there's no hack to separately adjust that, seeing as the levels can be so far apart.

14. Norinion macrumors regular

There is dimmer, which lets you lower the brightness even more than you can, (i use this to text in movie theaters), but dimmer lets you set activation methods to certain brightness settings. For example, when i hold the - volume button, it lowers it so its perfect in bed, or dark circumstances. + volume to max out the brightness.

But what you guys are looking for is, Media Controller Brightness. double tap the home button on the lockscreen, and you'll get a brightness adjuster bar right above the slide to unlock to change the brightness.

Another is called f.lux? it adds a yellow tint at night so you don't get blinded too much, helps calm your eyes too when looking at the screen in the dark.

Edit. Looks like someone mentioned f.lux sorry. but yeah, Media Controller Brightness or Dimmer is the way to go.