Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doodude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Yesterday my jailbroken iPhone 3G 16 gb began to shutdown to a black screen after phone calls. If I pressed the power button the slide to start screen appeared but the slide would not work.

If I held the power button to the slide to turn off screen, the turn off slide would never work.

In both cases the slides had the light moving across the slides but there was no response when I touched the screen.
I would have to hold power & home buttons to restart the phone.
After the restart/reboot it would be ok until after the next few calls then start the same problem again.

It's like the touch capability is lost. Has anyone experienced/heard of this?
Is my phone about to go belly up? :eek:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Your digitizer is going bad. Have you got water damage? If under warranty and no water, get it replaced. You could try a restore in DFU mode (see my sig), but I doubt that'll fix it.

doodude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
-aggie- said:
Your digitizer is going bad. Have you got water damage? If under warranty and no water, get it replaced. You could try a restore in DFU mode (see my sig), but I doubt that'll fix it.

Thanks -aggie-. After a bit of searching Ive found quite a bit of info on the digitizer problem, with the exception of, was it really worth the effort to repair.

Ive built/assembled PCs in the past & have, if not high tech skills then an understanding & some common sense, so I think I could replace it. But is it worth the trouble or could I suddenly find my self with some other issue in a couple of months.

Is an iPhone like a used car that, once it starts to fall apart its just a matter of time?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Thanks -aggie-. After a bit of searching Ive found quite a bit of info on the digitizer problem, with the exception of, was it really worth the effort to repair.

Ive built/assembled PCs in the past & have, if not high tech skills then an understanding & some common sense, so I think I could replace it. But is it worth the trouble or could I suddenly find my self with some other issue in a couple of months.

Is an iPhone like a used car that, once it starts to fall apart its just a matter of time?

No, iPhones are not like used cars. Parts sometimes fail, but it doesn’t occur often on the same iPhone, unless you had some external damage.

The problem with fixing the digitizer is it could be something wrong with the logic board as well (not worth fixing). The digitizer is not that much, but I’m not totally familiar with the cost, just to let you know (you can google all this and make your decision on prices). I just know it’s cheaper than a logic board, which runs around $200.

It’s hard to say if it’s worth it. Repairing an iPhone is much different than repairing a computer. The parts are much smaller and can easily be broken taking the iPhone apart. Be careful initially removing the glass/digitizer part from the rest of the iPhone. If you’re not careful, you can easily break ribbon 3 if the parts get too much separation. The other difficulty is the ribbon to the camera (reinstalling it, that is). Oh, and getting ribbon 3 to attach back to the logic board is a real b****.

Make sure you google all the repair videos and guides. Watch them over a few times. Good luck, if you go this route.

doodude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Ive prolly been saved from many hours of frustration.

I was just hoping this iPhone would last a bit longer. My contract is only weeks from being completed so Im eligible for an upgrade but I am not thrilled about signing a new contract.

For now Ive just put my sim card into my old Sony Z500a & I guess Ill see what its like to have an iTouch with WiFi for awhile. That is as long as I can get it to respond.

Odd thing is, it never went on the blink until I hung up from a call I received. Otherwise it seemed to work just fine. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.