I'm lost, help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MoAmyot, Jun 22, 2007.

1. MoAmyot macrumors newbie

Allright guys,
    Later this year, I will begin my 3 years multimedia / 3d design technique and I'm about to buy a iMac.

Now the big question is... wich model should I buy?

I know that the new exploitation system (Leopoard) is coming soon but I just can't wait until october to get my hands on a new computer.

Now, let me tell you that I do play alot of video game on my current computer (for example, Warcraft 3) and I've heard that a couple of publisher will also make a mac version of their upcoming games.

What should I do?
    I already know that I want at least 1gig of rams and I want to be able to play some games but the main reason why I buy the iMac is for designing. Does the videocard will handle some games like warcraft 3 and some upcoming games... Otherwise I would like to know if there any good videocard for Mac out there because I'm ready to invest more money into my iMac.

Also,
    Is there really a big difference between the 20inches(ATI Radeon X1600 Pro) and the 24inches'(NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT) videocard?

Thanks alot,
    Mo

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Yes, the video card will be able to play WoW and other games, even games coming out soon.
    You can't really upgrade your video card with the iMac. More information on that can be found here.

3. MoAmyot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx alot for the fast answer but will it run smoothly with the settings pushed to the maximum? Sorry :p I'm hate seeing big pixel when I play a videogame

4. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

It should run well decently at least on full settings, but I'm not 100% sure. Perhaps a search of the forums for "WoW on iMac" will tell you more.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

On a purely designing note...

If the graphics turns out to be not a big deal (although... as they go up in price I would assume they get better)

If you have the money go with the 24 inch... mainly because, well... IT'S FREAKIN AWESOME :D and ... while 20 is tons of space, who doesn't want more for designing, you can run tons of things at once without much of hiccup, so having plenty of space for multiple windows.. the more the better!

I do designing on my Macbook pro cd 2ghz, and find it handles things really well. the imac will do you well for a while.

Warcraft apparently runs beautiful on imacs... or so i've heard, I have a friend with the 20 and they love it, but others with the 24 have been happy too.

If your games are similar... you should be fine with what the imac has in it already. Above is right though, check out individual game forums or google that phrase to find out more info.

PS. go for atleast 2gig of ram. I have 1.5 and it was a vast improvement over the 512... we recently put anotehr 1gig (upgraded from 1 - 2) and i saw a vast improvement... and if you want to do a lot of things at once you'll appreciate it.

I forgot how far you can upgrade the imacs now, but maybe even get one 2 gig stick (if you have the money) so you can upgrade another gig later if you feel the need?