Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Disneysue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2007
At home
I am a life long PC user. I am in the market for a new computer and I DO NOT want Windows Vista and cannot get a decent computer without it. I have heard that Macs are extremely user friendly. So here are my questions:

#1) I have a DSL connection and a router connected to another PC, if I get an iMac, can I connect it with the router without trouble?

#2) I understand that a new O/S will be launched later this year. How are the new O/S's with Mac? Are they smoother than new windows O/S that take 3 years to work out the bugs, or does Apple wait until the bugs are out before they release it?

#3) Should I wait to get my iMac until after the new O/S comes out or just buy it with the current O/S and upgrade later when the bugs are worked out?

#4) I am also interested in a handheld, do they work with Macs?

#5) How is the Tech support for iMac?

I am a newbie to this forum and searched to no avail about finding answers to these questions so Im sorry if these are repeats.

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
#1) I have a DSL connection and a router connected to another PC, if I get an iMac, can I connect it with the router without trouble?

Yes, just plug it in, and it will work right away. No configuration necessary.

#2) I understand that a new O/S will be launched later this year. How are the new O/S's with Mac? Are they smoother than new windows O/S that take 3 years to work out the bugs, or does Apple wait until the bugs are out before they release it?

Generally, new OS's get a minor "update" a week or two after release, then major update every couple to six months. You can interpret that how you want, but generally everything works very well right off the bat since Apple controls both hardware and software.

You can always install XP on your new iMac.

#3) Should I wait to get my iMac until after the new O/S comes out or just buy it with the current O/S and upgrade later when the bugs are worked out?

If you need it now, buy the computer now. OS updates are around $130. It's up to you to determine if the wait is worth that amount.

#4) I am also interested in a handheld, do they work with Macs?

Palm OS: Yes
Windows Mobile: No
Blackberry: Not really

There are patches available, but they are just patches, not true integration. Your mileage my vary. You could always get an iPhone later... Or you can install XP and have it work that way.

#5) How is the Tech support for iMac?

Dunno, I have a local reseller I use and they are fantastic (Simply Computing in Langley, BC).

4nr-

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
Göteborg, Sweden
Good thing you're informing yourself before you decide to buy.

Buying an Imac right now is not advised, if you can wait, do it. An updated Imac is most likely coming soon. It's not gonna include Leopard, but you will get more value for your money (and possibly a new design). This update will probably take place in june.

As for your router compatibility, it would be kind of silly if macs couldn't connect to the internet, right? Most things - like printers, cameras, etc - work better on macs than on windows pcs.

Furthermore, you should probably try out a mac before you decide to buy one.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
My advice is to wait until June before thinking about buying an iMac, unless you really need one now.

As for the OS X upgrades, they are usually pretty smooth although some programs can stop working. This usually gets sorted out some months after the new OS is released when the software companies have had a chance to make updates available.

Macs aren't really business savvy - despite what many people will tell you - so the use of handheld devices is rather limited in OS X. However as someone else mentioned, you can simply install Windows on your Mac and use the software there. This does mean that you'd need to use your mail and calendar programs on the Windows side though.

Something else to think about is the total cost of switching. If you are using MS Office on a PC, you will need to purchase a copy of Office 2004 for Mac if you want to continue using this software suite on OS X. You'll also need to purchase new CD/DVD burning software and other applications. It's not all that bad though, some free alternatives do exist if you're not worried about functionality. And there's always the option of running XP on your Mac, although then you'd have to question why you're switching at all...

As for me, I'm bi-platform. I tried 'switching', but found that it just wasn't possible for the tasks I needed a computer for. However, at home I use OS X exclusively for everyday tasks such as e-mail, Internet browsing, and multimedia functions. My PC laptop is used for gaming and other programs which aren't available for Mac.

But with an Intel Mac you really can have the best of boths worlds.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Most things - like printers, cameras, etc - work better on macs than on windows pcs.

While I agree with the other things you mentioned in your post, I have to call this particular statement completely ridiculous and untrue.

Disneysue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2007
At home
First of all THANK YOU for all your great suggestions! To answer some of your questions:

Re: Handheld devices~ I am interested in getting one for personal use, not business use (Im not THAT important :D ) and Palm is my choice, I just havent decided which Palm.

Re: Time to purchase~ I am not in technically in a hurry. I do not NEED the computer right away..............I WANT IT, but if they are comming out with a new model soon, I can wait.

Re: Dual Platforms~ If I am to buy a Mac, I will be leaving Windows FOR GOOD! I dont use MS Office for anything other than word processing, so as long as I have a Word Processing program, I'll be happy.

Does IMac come with a CD/DVD burning program?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Does IMac come with a CD/DVD burning program?

OS X has rudimentary disc burning tools (Disc Utility, Burn Folders), but for many uses job is largely left to the individual apps in iLife, which most (iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD) support back up or output to CD/DVD.

So it depends on your needs, but there are many add-on programs like Toast or Burn that will enhance OS X's abilities.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.