I'm Nervous....Is it time for 10.4.9?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benlee, Apr 14, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

So i still havent updated my MBP to 10.4.9 because I am a little nervous. I am having no problems with .8 but i have a problem where i always want the best of the best and the newest of everything. Not sure if .9 will help my computer perform better but it may make me feel better mentally because its just sitting there calling my name in software update. So my question is should i install it, whats the risk it will screw something up? TIA.

2. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Yeah, I was a bit frightened also. I was on a trip when it came out and just recently returned. When I turned it on again, software update greeted me with a whole bunch of updates, one of which was .9. I was nervous because when I first got this computer and updated its software, it stopped booting correctly.

However, I bit the bullet and installed it (I did uninstall UNO because I had heard it causes issues). Everything is working fine now... but there is always a risk when updating your software. For this update, I think the risk is pretty minimal.

And Safari seems to be running faster...;)

BTW, I have a MacBook

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

What's UNO? thanks for the response. feeling a little more confident

4. k2k koos macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

What do you use your MBP for? I have an older powerbook G4, that I upgraded to 10.4.9
    There is no problem with it what soever, but there were a few audio unit plugins that are not getting through the validation in Logic Pro. (Which I use on the road with my PB).
    If you do not do anything with music on your machine, I think it will be safe to upgrade, I haven't heard of any other issues personally.

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Its fine - I have no issues with it at all. In fact, with all of Tiger's updates, I haven't once seen a crash!

Do it - the eject key might need longer to press, but thats really the only thing I noticed.

I guess at some point we may see a 10.4.10 with 10.5 being delayed...

F

6. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

is there any noticable changes. I heard the volume gets louder in itunes is that true? I think im gonnna do it so i guess ill find out.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

With 10.4.9, you have to press and hold the Eject button for 2 seconds before it will work. This makes it harder to accidently eject a disc by bumping the Eject button.

8. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Yes! I've only had .9 for a day, but I used to hate how I would go for the delete key and hit the eject key, and the disc would pop out. This is a welcome feature.

UNO is an application that gives a unified appearence to applications. It just changes the GUI so that all the windows look the same (so Safari looks like iTunes, which looks like the Finder, which looks like...)

I actually haven't consciously noticed a volume change, but I did used to have the volume louder. I figured I was just going deaf or listening to louder stuff than normal, but it very well could be that the volume has changed.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have 10.4.9 on my MacBook Pro and I'm having no problems, I say update to 10.4.9.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Worth it, for the higher volume alone... in this case newer is better imop.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I hafta admit it, I'm chicken...

I was already wary of going from 10.4.8 on my MB to 10.4.9 because 1) I don't have a backup in case anything were to go sour, 2) I dreaded the volume increase thingie, and 3) see quote:
    And I <3 me some UNO and didn't wanna give it up. ;)

But then I noticed this post and figured I might as well give it a shot... Especially because I was getting rather frustrated with my accidental tappings of the eject key.

So I just updated without a hitch: UNO plays nicely, the volume hasn't done anything crazy, and the eject delay makes me smile... Just in case any of you out there are still hesitant, it seems to be all right. :p

12. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my Macbook the day 10.4.9 came out, and I had no problems. Just close all applications before you install. You may want to back up your home folder, and applications onto a CD or DVD as well. Regaurdless if you need to use the backups becasue of the updates, it's still a good idea to have a backup.

Good luck! :D

13. BigPrince macrumors 68020

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The C2D machines have reportedly got around 2x volume in .9 as .8, while CD machines and PPC machines see no difference in this respect :)

15. dshootist macrumors member

When you you updated your G4 PB to 10.4, did it mess with any of your Adobe apps like 10.3 did when updated from Jaguar? Currently running a 1GHz PB and I'd just rather not have to install CS2 all over again. The system updates for 10.4 alone are going to keep me busy for a week.