I'm Never Going Back to Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FrakkinShip, Dec 27, 2014.

1. FrakkinShip macrumors member

I got my MBP yesterday and it is... simply amazing. I'm enjoying everything about OS X. I LOVE the trackpad gestures as I am able to use my deformed right hand to do simple tasks. I love the dock bar, the animations, full screen apps, switching between full screen apps, time machine, etc. This is EASILY the best purchase I've ever made.

What do I like most? Editing photos on a properly calibrated display. The retina display really makes this wonderful! I cannot go back to PC for editing.

There has been a learning curve with few things, particularly installing apps and keyboard shortcuts. But I am sure I will have these down within a week of use.

I want to thank everyone who helped convert me to Mac. It's brilliant!

2. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Welcome to the orchard and congratulations :)

I agree with you. Using an Apple computer is a real pleasure.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Enjoy!

I've been using Macs since 1986, and I continually discover new thoughtful little touches that make getting stuff done easier.

Spaces! QuickLook! Gestures! ...

You'll see. Today's OS X is a simply marvelous platform.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Welcome! Been using Macs primarily for several years now and completely enjoy them. I tell people I could use an Android phone (I think - never have) but I could never use a Windows computer.

6. XmeX macrumors regular

By the way, not all people using the PC just for "photo editing"

I don't think that Mac would ever replace Windows,

7. FrakkinShip thread starter macrumors member

That was my main use. Well, that and school work. But all of that can be done on the Mac, so there's zero need for me to go back.

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

9. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Not quite sure how this is relevant - OP is simply posting about how he's having a fantastic experience with OS X, which is great to hear.

Will OS X displace Windows as a platform globally? Another platform might but I can't see OS X doing this unless Apple completely changes their business model. With that said, OS X is a fantastic choice for a lot of people.

Honestly it's no worse than any other Windows release in my honest opinion. I'm not a fan of it myself but I know there's plenty of people who are happy with it.

With that said, I'm not particularly happy with the direction that Windows is headed in whereas OS X, whilst not perfect (it has a few annoyances that get me), on the whole it's an OS I'm very productive with.

10. FrakkinShip thread starter macrumors member

Windows 8 did a lot of things right, but some things wrong, namely the Metro UI. When I installed the OS on my four year old, Core 2 Duo, 8gb machine, my productivity was better. Startup was far quicker than what it was when I had Windows 7 installed. Applications ran a bit faster as well. But I was still getting start up errors and the Metro UI annoyed the hell out of me.

Windows 10 looks promising, but I won't be going back.

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Welcome to the real world :) OS X is not for everyone, equally those that make the change rarely look back. Agree W8 is technically a big improvement on W7, however the UI is a bad joke, just a mess no surprise the "enterprise" has little acceptance, few if any in business I know wants to use Window`s latest & greatest...

Q-6

12. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

Glad you are loving your new macbook as I have been loving my mac ever since I got it too.

One of the few posts here in the forum where the OP is loving his new mac and not actually complaining :) ...

13. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Amen to that brother! I felt the same way after getting my MBPr 13"

I just enjoyed the fact my email automatically came to me without me having to login!

14. FrakkinShip thread starter macrumors member

How much storage on the SSD is used for mail? I've thought about using the Mail app but haven't done it yet.

15. fchowd0696, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

fchowd0696 macrumors newbie

I also just recently switched from a windows laptop to a late 2013 rMBP 15".
    I previously owned a Lenovo Thinkpad carbon X1. I loved the form factor and it felt sturdy until I dropped it from my high bed(dorm room) and the screen shattered. However, the bloatware was just atrocious. 1 month into owning the laptop the 4 gigs of RAM would constantly be easily consumed from basic web browsing. I'm one month into owning my mac and am loving it. One thing I love about OS X is it is a infinitely better notebook os than windows. My major is Political Science which entails a crap load of typing papers. With windows I had a mess of tabs for research and google docs open. It was cumbersome switching between my notes, pdfs, online sources, and the actual paper. The multiple desktop and expose system along with the touch pad makes organizing my work a gratifying experience. I have one desktop open for all my pdfs that my professors send me, another for my online sources, another for google docs, and another for reddit:D. It's so easy to switch back between each desktop. For laptops, os x is the way to go.

I still have a windows desktop for gaming purposes, which is all I am going to use windows for from now on unless Microsoft produces a game changer with windows 10.

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

You MUST limit the number of messages stored to 1,000 per account. You can do this by logging into gmail under settings.

17. FrakkinShip thread starter macrumors member

Yep. I actually love the look of Yosemite. :)

18. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

19. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Don't use Mail.app.
    If you want to continue to use gestures, check out this: http://www.mailboxapp.com

It'll let you clean through your inbox using only trackpad gestures.

20. Redsfan macrumors regular

We switched from the windows lifestyle to Mac and would not go back either...crazy the difference in all aspects we would use this for.

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The latter is a good program. One needs to be careful using it, as it is easy to accidentally delete emails using the gesture.

22. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I still need windows for work, since they don't make a version of Project for OS X. Almost everything else I do is much more enjoyable on a Mac.

23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I still have Windows installed on both my main machines just in case I need to diagnose another PC. Both are running 8.1. Windows never really gave me many problems except the occasional virus. What really drove me away from the platform was not that it was hard to use, but how simple OS X was to use. That, and the way you backup.

See in OS X most, if not all, apps are all inclusive/independent. Windows apps require the registery and other crap and that makes it harder to move from machine to machine without doing either a complete clone or reinstallation of all your programs. OS X is different. I can put a program on a thumb drive take it to my other Mac and run it right there. It'll need to generate a new preferences file, but it's a heck of a lot easier.

This allows apps like Time Machine to function. I can wipe my hard drive, and not even have to do a restore since Time Machine sets up the file structure in such a way that I can just go and pull the files I need.

It also helps that OS X is the platform for creators. It seems Apple is trying to strip the OS of that title with the discontinuation of Aperture, but I still think it's the best for content creators. See, I edit videos so when I started out the inclusion of iMovie was awesome.

24. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

I grew up on Windows.. and for a while, I have to say I loved it. I was happy about Windows 8 and even bought a launch day Surface RT, later a windows phone.

I have to say I still like the look of Modern Windows (not desktop), but even that was getting old. The desktop was still there, and there were 0 apps I could find that were remotely interesting.

Anyways, came time to buy a new laptop for college. I had a decent sum of money prepared, so I wasn't going to go cheap. Something good this time, compared to my Dell Inspiron 1545.

After extensive research, I found the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, and the Surface Pro 3. The Surface Pro 3 looked promising. Lenovo was slightly more expensive, but it still looked good. Except... they weren't quite right. They didn't have the battery life I wanted, and they were compromises. Neither a good tablet nor a good laptop.

Since I needed this for programming, I decided to go with a good laptop. But, there was another laptop I hadn't considered. My friend got a MacBook and she really liked hers, but I dismissed it at first. But, given that it was top-tier in battery, extremely powerful and well designed, I decided to give it a try. I toyed with the idea, and suddenly I was fascinated and entranced. I was determined to buy the MacBook.

Well, I did. And I've not regretted it once! It even handles games that I wanted to play. Better than I could ever imagine. I don't even touch my Surface (sadly) these days. And it's convinced me to buy an iPhone or an Android phone. I would buy an iPhone but they're so expensive!