I'm New... Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ipodtouchy333, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Hello, I am considering getting a mac in a few months or so. I have narrowed it down between the middle macbook or the macbook air (revision 2). I am a student in HS and will probably just do the basics- use it for projects, internet, downloading/watching movies-nothing too heavy such as video editing. I am wondering, since this will be my first mac in awhile, what software/programs I will need for studentish stuff. Thanks!

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't expect the second generation MBA for quite some time. If you are doing movies the Mac Book will be a better choice as it has the DVD drive. All you would really need for software is Office.

3. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Before buying office, try out NeoOffice. I've been using it for about 3 months and (so far) it seems to be backwards compatible with all of my old Office documents. Best of all, it's free!

4. letswastetime macrumors regular

i would definitely suggest going for the middle range macbook. it will probably be better for the basics compared to the macbook air. im in college and i have a middle range macbook and absolutely love it, i do all the things you mentioned and it works perfect for that.

as for programs office 08 is great, i just got it. or neo office if youre looking to save some money.