I'm new to Mac...does this look good to you??!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cheribaby, Aug 24, 2010.

1. cheribaby macrumors newbie

Thanks in advance guys! I'm new to Mac (this will be my first).
    Does this sound like a good deal to you???? I know it's risky to buy used...but seems like it's good with the 28 months of Applecare remaining...what do you think? Here's the ad and specs:

APPLE MACBOOK PRO UNIBODY 15.4"/2.8GHz/500GB/4GB/28MONTHS APPLECARE+++ - $1450 (Loaded with Pro Apps)
    Date: 2010-08-23, 11:16PM PDT

15.4” UNIBODY APPLE MACBOOK PRO 2.8 GHz INTEL CORE 2 DUO WITH SNOW LEOPARD + iWORK + iLIFE ++++

WARRANTY/APPLECARE UNTIL DECEMBER 28TH, 2012. THAT’S EXACTLY 28MONTHS OF PEACE OF MIND.

THIS IS A LIKE-NEW COMPUTER, WITH NO BOX. IT WORKS LIKE NEW. EVERYTHING WORKS 100%. MINOR SCRATCH ON CASE. APPLICATIONS ARE FRESH INSTALLS, NO DATA. GET THIS NOW AND SAVE!

WHAT YOU GET :

* Macbook unit
    * Power Adapter - with extension
    * Original System Install Disc

Serial # : W89500CQ644
    SPECIFICATIONS :

* 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    * 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    * Built-In iSight
    * Mini DisplayPort
    * Infra-Red Remote Sensor
    * SD Card Slot
    * 4GB DDR2 Ram Memory ( Max @ 8GB )
    * 500GB Hard Drive
    * 400 Mb/sec Firewire
    * Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    * NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + GeForce 9600M GT with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM
    * Graphics Memory of 512MB
    * Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless
    * Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
    * Optical Digital Audio in
    * 8x slot-loading Dual Layer SUPERDRIVE - DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW
    * Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
    * Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports two-finger scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
    * And more.....

PRICE : $1,450.00

LIST OF INSTALLED APPLICATIONS :

* Mac OS X 10.6.3 Suite which includes iMovie, ITunes, DVD Player, iCal, QuickTime Player, Mail, Safari, Time Machine, etc.
    * iLife ‘09 : iPhoto, iWeb, iDVD, iMovie HD, Garageband
    * Aperture 3.0
    * Adobe Lightroom 3
    * Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collections : Acrobat 9 Pro CS5, After Effects CS5, Bridge CS5, Contribute CS5, Device Central CS5, Dreamweaver CS5, Dynamic Link, Encore CS5, Flash Catalyst CS5, Flash Professional CS5, Flash Builder 4, Fireworks CS5, Illustrator CS5, InDesign CS5, Media Encore CS5, Media Player CS5, OnLocation CS5, Photoshop CS5 Extended, Premiere Pro CS5, Soundbooth CS5.
    * Shake 4.1
    * Filemaker Pro 10 - Advanced
    * iWork ‘09 : Pages, Keynotes, Numbers
    * Microsoft Office 2008 ( Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Entourage, Messenger )
    * Parallels 5.0 - (Run Windows on Your Mac (Windows OS not included)
    * Pro Tools 8 LE
    * Quark Express 8
    * QuickBooks 2009
    * Stuffit 12
    * Toast Titanium 10

* Logic Studio 3 : Logic Pro 9, Logic Node, Main Stage, Wave Burner, with Jam Packs

* Final Cut Studio 3 : Final Cut Pro 7.0.2, Color, Cinema Tools , Compressor, LiveType, Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Quartermaster, Soundtrack Pro

CONDITION OF SALE : No Shipping, No Trades, CASH ONLY on Pickip or delivery

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You will buy lots and lots of software with this, and chances are high, that the licenses will not come with it, thus it would be illegal to have those applications. And the missing box on a six months old MBP is a bad sign too.

The licenses for those applications alone are worth around 5000 USD, thus it leads me to think, that this is a scam and if it is on eBay, you should report it.

3. DKatri macrumors 6502

Definately pirated software. Adobe CS5 is something like £2000 roughly $3000. No way would anyone sell the laptop with legit software for under $2500.

4. cheribaby thread starter macrumors newbie

Yikes!!!
    Glad I asked...thought it sounded good but had no idea.
    And it wasn't on Ebay, it was on Craigslist.

5. Applephile macrumors newbie

Applephile

Agreed, it could be stolen in which case you would find that out once you took it to a store or called AppleCare with the serial number.

Look at these refurbished macs with full warranties from Apple and consider how good a deal your offer is. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

BTW, I'm writing to you on a 4 year old refurbished Macbook. :D :apple:

6. njean777 macrumors 6502

What are you going to use this macbook for because if i were you i would look on the apple refurbished store and see if you can find a deal you like on there. Its sold by apple so you will def. not be scammed if you purchase from there.

7. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Yea pirated. I may or may not have done the same thing when I sold my old Gateway to boost resale value. And it may or may not have worked.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't remember or is the bush that beatable?

9. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

+1 sounds too good to be true. When looking at used Macs go to this site to get an idea of the actual cost. Refurbs are as good as new if you are not looking to buy brand new or want to save $200-300. Here's the site for getting a truer estimate on a used machine:

www.mac2sell.net/

Good luck!

10. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

All I remember is I bought my gateway for $1000, and somehow sold it for the same price a year later. And this is in PC world.

11. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

even worse.

I bet you didn’t install Adobe Premiere on it. That would actually depreciate the value ;)

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

doesn't hurt to if you are going to do a fresh install. but this is a risky choice...playing with fire :O
    i would rather fork up a few hundos and get the newest model :]

13. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I wonder if the collection address is the same as the registered address of the MBP.

14. KirkL macrumors 6502

Do you need all that software? If not, just get a cheaper one. Like others, I think all that software is pirated too...

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol of course it's pirated. This guy is probably like one of those collectors who just downloads apps to have the shiny icon on their desktop or just likes to have stacks of warez. No reason to have lightroom AND aperature, iWork AND office, final cut studio AND Creative suite (atleast the media components). You'd have to be a god to know how to operate all those apps lol.

stay away I bet he's got a trojan stuffed in there too.

16. Xenophon macrumors regular

Pirated software for sure. And the absence of a box with a relatively new machine combined with Craigslist don't bode well. Wouldn't touch it, especially not if the seller doesn't have any paperwork / the name on the docs matches his id.

17. Xenophon macrumors regular

Whoa there....here's a guy who has both Office and iWork installed on his mac (licensed of course) and for perfectly good work related reasons. But for the rest I agree with you, this deal reeks of sulphur.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I ment in total relation to all those other apps; not saying that some can't coexist on a legit install (such as yours).