I'm new to mac...just wanted to know...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IndyStarr, Jun 17, 2009.

1. IndyStarr macrumors newbie

is it easy to switch from PC to an iMac? can you download all the same things from the internet? I'm in school and I need it for that too. so will all my school programs work on an iMac?

was it easy for you, as a PC owner to switch?

just want to know before I buy one!

thanks!

IndyStarr

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nothing .exe works. You have to find equivalent programs.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

It wasn't difficult for me. You can download, but you can't download windows software unless you're running bootcamp or a VM. School CD? If you mean programs, it would depend on if it's software for Windows or just data.

4. Vendo macrumors newbie

I'm on my first Mac ever and had similar worries until Sunday when I first starting using it. So far I'm really satisfied.

If you install Windows on a Mac, you can use that for anything needed and it will work exactly as you need for any Windows program. Otherwise, for web browsing, writing, and daily computer usage the Mac format is much faster and more convenient with my experience so far.

5. IndyStarr thread starter macrumors newbie

what about the game Age of Empires 3?? is it compatible? or do I need the windows setup?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You need a Mac version. NOTHING .exe works.

7. IndyStarr thread starter macrumors newbie

dude! wth does that even mean? NOTHING exe works? or NOTHING. exe works tho.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Any file. With the extension ".exe" cannot run.

So any program. That you might have on Windows. Cannot run in OS X.

You can install Windows on your Mac (in Boot Camp or virtualization) and run them.

9. IndyStarr thread starter macrumors newbie

whats with all the periods? kinda hard to read when you put a period to end the sentence. before. its. even. over.

I get what your saying now tho!

thanks!!!

10. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Computer files have extensions on them, like this: filename.exe or filename.doc

It's not to signify the end of a sentence. A file ending in .exe means it's an executable file. Those types of files will not run in Mac OS X.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Go to your Windows PC, click My Computer. Go to Tools -> Folder Options. Select the View tab. Uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types"

Then go to your Program Files folder (My Computer -> Local Disk (C: ) -> Program Files) and go into any program folder there. You'll likely see a list of folders and other files. Some will have ".exe" on the end. That's the file extension that Windows uses to determine whether a file is a program (it's short for "executable").

None of those programs will work on a Mac.

12. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

What should have been suggested to you in the first place is to have one of your parents or a older more knowledgeable sibling research this matter for you as i do not believe you are yet capable of making this decision yourself in a well thought out manner.

When buying a computer like a Mac you need to work out if your needs will be met and if the cost is justified at this moment in time, i would seek advice on a face to face basis with someone you trust and that knows computers well and see if a Mac can fit all of your needs.

13. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I was pretty fast used to mac os x, cause my father had 3 three of them in his company. I never used those much, but I learned mac os x amazing fast. As if I knew it already.

You need everything on the mac side as has been made clear above. So if you want office you need to get office for mac 2008. There are however other options like iwork, which will save in a format that's not interchangeable, but you can "save as" into a .doc file.
    Some programmers develop for several operating systems. These programs are most times free, like VLC, firefox, openoffice. They're most times made for linux (and most things are free on linux), and they were so kind to make it available for other operating systems also. But you need the right version (so download the mac version and not the windows version, e.g: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ you can choose what os you use).
    Other programs are for both operating systems too but you'll have to pay for them, I'm talking about programs like Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Maya autodesk. (you probably don't use those)

Video's, music, photo's are ofcourse interchangeable. Doesn't matter what kind you use. .psd .img .gif .mov .avi .wmv, mac os x can read them all.

The sad thing is, is that even piracy exists on the mac os x side.