I'm new to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by horacio, Sep 14, 2009.

1. horacio macrumors newbie

I've been using PC with Windows all my life (I'm 23).

And I'm gonna replace my Windows Vista (I've had enough) laptop soon. I don't know anything about Mac OS.

What would you recommend me? This is my first option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938131&pf_rd_i=507846

And how does the boot camp work? I use Autocad, and CAD/CAM Software as ANSYS, CATIA.

Also a little bit of Dreamweaver and Office which I know are available for Mac.

I'd like to get your advice. Thanks in advance.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Seems fine.

Bootcamp is free, you just a need a copy of Windows. You have to shut down your computer and restart everytime you want to switch between OS's, but your computer runs like it is native to each OS.

3. horacio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

What about warranty? I'm taking the Macbook with me to Mexico, is the warranty only valid in the USA?

I bought an iPod Touch @ Amazon, which became defective and Apple made the warranty effective here in Mexico and I got the device repaired and everything.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Laptops have international coverage, so you'll have no problems in Mexico as long as you can find a service center (otherwise, in a lot of places it's mail-in only and long wait times).

jW

5. Buzz Bumble Guest

Which unfortunately means you can't fully escape Vista. They used to make AutoCAD for the Mac in the dim distant past, but no longer do. There are Mac CAD applications, but I have no idea how compatible or good they are. There have been rumours for quite a while of them making a new Mac version, but so far nothing concrete.

You can also run Windows applications through applications like Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion. These run on top of the Mac OS, so there will be a bit of a performance hit which may be too much for CAD work (I haven't tried), but you don't have to keep rebooting the computer.

6. horacio thread starter macrumors newbie

then I think I'll still using Windows for the rest of my life.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Boot camp allows you to re-boot the Mac into another OS. That is one way to go.

Another is to buy VMware's "Parallels" this lets you run Windows or another OS on the Mac while Mac OS X is still running. But be warned you will need enough RAM on the Mac to run both OSes. 4GB is the practical minimum. If Parallels works for you this is by FAR the best because yo do not have to stop using Mac OS to run Autocad. Parlles even has a mode where it makes a Windows app look likeit is running on the mac desktop and you can cut and past and share files.

You don't have to choose. Parallels can run a bootcamp patition