Im New What to buy...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jostub01, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jostub01 macrumors newbie

Hey,
    Ive been a user of dell pc's for years but now its time for me to risk it and switch. But I don't have alot of money and seeing as I still have to use my pc for various programs I would like to get a cheap introductory Macintosh. What I have been looking at is as follows:
    Mac Mini:apple:
    iBook g3
    iMac g4:apple:

I'm willing to spend $600 for a new mac mini but I want to know if a mac mini is better than an imac g4 that would come with everything I need. And if I got a imac g4, could I install leopard. Any help from all of you mac geniuses willing to shine some light on an old windows user would be appreciated. Thanks

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Mac Mini is your best bet in my opinion: It comes with leopard and 1GB Ram, its on a (fairly) current platform. Not all imac g4s can have leopard installed, only the ones above 867mhz, and a mac mini will definitely outperform it.

Apple do a really good education discount if you are eligible for that too, and if you are going to be using an existing keyboard and mouse with the mac mini, make sure they are USB!

3. EB66 macrumors 6502

I would definetly go with a mac mini out of those choices and if you want to go a little cheaper I would look at some used ones as long as its intel so you can run windows if you want to