I'm not enjoying my invisibleshield 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by djrobsd, Jul 22, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I purchased it at the mall yesterday, they have a kiosk just outside the Apple store! They install it "professionally", for an extra $10, so my price out the door was $37.50.

When he was finished, the guy put my phone inside a plastic bag and told me I could still use the phone, but to put it back inside the bag for the next 24 hours when not using to keep the dust away, so I did exactly as instructed. In fact, I only used the phone once last night when I needed to check my text messages, but I didn't send any messages or really use the screen.

So, here's my initial impressions:

-The touch screen feels awkward now with it on, your finger doesn't glide across like it did with the original protective plastic that came from the Apple factory.

-The touch screen is not as responsive

-My phone sticks to my desk when i set it down on my desk

-I've got a hairline sized pattern of bubbles next to the home button on the right. Also in various other spots I've still got some bubbles. I was told they would go away, but how long should that take?

-The fit around the speaker is not perfect, nor is it around the home button

-Overall, I do not like how the phone sticks to my hands when I hold it. I mean, I guess it's nice so you won't drop the phone as easily, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

-Metal bezel is not fully protected

-Corners are protected by some extra pieces they apply to the corners. The pieces look cheap and really make it look like junk. If I take the pieces off then the phone will probably get damaged in the corners.

Anyone else have any thoughts?!

I'm not sure I'm going to keep this. I hope they will give me my money back, but I'm sure I won't get the $10 bucks back that I paid for installation. I'm going to give it a day or two more and see if the bubbles go away. Even then, I'm not sure I'm going to be happy.

2. ug.mac macrumors member

ug.mac

That sux. I just got BSE in mail today and applied like 20 minutes ago, zero bubbles front and back, no kidding, ZERO bubbles. This is my first time so it took me about an hour to archive the best result. :D

3. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Where are you located in the fact they have a store out front? I would only want a front protection since I prefer the cases for the back and metal bezel side.

4. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Is this on the 1st gen iphone or the iphone 3g? The iphone 3g doesnt have extra pieces to cover anything. Its just the front and back piece. The grippier feel is a +. Who wants theie phone slipping outta their hands? My IS doesnt make the screen less responsive at all. Curing takes about 24hours to fully dry and get all the bubbles out.

5. T4R06 macrumors 65816

dude invisible shield for iphone 3G is only 14.95 at best buy! they are now carrying ZAGG

6. tdevers macrumors regular

When I had my LG Voyager I also had a full body clear skin on it. It made using the touch screen worse than it was out of the box. The bubbles will clear up for the most part in a week or two. I also put a skin on my Macbook and did an absolute terrible job at it. Two weeks later it look perfect.

7. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I'd take his "professional installation" and you know what with it. That guy didn't do a very good job. I don't get keeping in a bag either.

8. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

anyone else experiencing discoloring around the corner parts? its gone a brown color, looks like its burnt,or has been affected by heat somehow,and trust me, im nowhere hot!!!

gonna email them and send them pics and get another sent out.

also the corners arent fitting very well. had it on for a week

screen is great tho

9. Joey7071 macrumors newbie

my IS is flawless u must of got a garbage install I did mine perfect, and I laughed at the touch screen not being as responsive sounds like a troll post but whatever. Mines perfect but i'm gonna take off my front and put a PS front on just because IS does have a little bit of a orange peel look.

10. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

"dude"! Front protection only, "dude"!

11. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I'm in two minds with these skins and cases in general. I had a bestskinever on my old iPhone, and I did a very good job of application. However the whole time it was on it I was pretty unhappy with the way my iPhone felt - no longer feeling smooth metal and as you say it feels sticky and plasticy. It generally made the device feel cheap.

After a few weeks dust and crud start building up on the edges of the skin eventually making its way through the inside of the skin around the corners and it looked pretty terrible. I still kept it on to prevent scratches, and for this reason the skins are great because they do work as advertised.

Eventually I removed the skin and it felt like I was actually able to use my phone as intended again, and it felt great. However it did get some minor scratches on it over the rest of the time I had the phone.

The issue is whether or not to protect your iPhone by covering it up and not enjoying it as much while you have it, or just leaving it uncovered and using it as intended and getting the full satisfaction of ownership at the price of diminished resale value.

I think a good screen protector is a must as I would hate the screen to be scratched, I like the Power Support Crystal as it feels like there is nothing on the screen which I like, as opposed to the anti-glare which changes and look and feel of the device.

As far as skins are concerned, I don't know. I will probably buy the bodyguardz for my iPhone 3G and see how it goes, but I have a feeling I'll take it off pretty quickly.

12. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I took the back off of mine today. 3/4 corners had a small crease, but even the perfect corner still has an edge that catches skin and feels awful. I do enjoy the front portion, and the texture on the screen, to me, feels fine; just different.

I'm going to do my best not to drop it (/wink) so I think I should be fine with no additional case.

13. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's for FRONT protection only, this is a full protection package for my 3G Iphone, and it did come with the tabs, even though the previous poster said it's not supposed to. The box even says for 3G iphones.

14. MisterBlister macrumors newbie

New Design

I just got off the phone with ZAGG, they're sending me a new front & back. Apparently, they've made some design modifications to the back since the first batch of 3G cases went out a couple weeks ago.

Why, you ask, did I have to get a new cover? My Marware Sports case, that has it's own built-in plastic shield actually MELDED with the invisibleshield, and so I had to literally take a scissors to the brand new 35$ case in order to extricate my phone from it. Anyone else had this experience?

15. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Thanks to work I was able to test out BSE and Zagg's shields and have found out the BSE started to show scratches on the skin after I accidentally placed the device in my pocket with my keys. After that I started to see rainbow lines on the BSE. Well I was impatient and my Zagg was taking to long to get here so I went to Best Buy and get the one from there and applied it. I did a good job and I kept the other one as a spare in case I have to return my phone. I did the same in the pocket/keys test with the Zagg and I noticed the scratches but they bounced right back and disappeared within a few minutes. The BSE didn't disappear after 48+ hours!

16. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

I have been using IS on my 3g and have been a little disappointed with the front screen being that I have had a IS guy replace it once already at my local mail and it looks like i'll have to do it again. the first replace had to do with little creases curving all over the front of the screen because of the way it was packaged. Well, this time around I have streaks going doing the middle of the screen that I thought would disappear after a few days but doesn't seem to be the case.

At this point im thinking about just getting one of those power crystal shields for the front and leaving IS on the back. I dont like the texture so much of the IS front screen but I do like the fingerprint resistance it seems to offer. does the power crystal shields get smudges easliy like the glass does without anything on it?

17. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

well here I am almost a week later. I think I have gotten used to the change in feel of my phone but overall I still like the feel of a naked iphone better. I do like the grippy feel of the back but in the front I do not enjoythat when using the tpuchscreen. The corner pieces are peeling off and I still don't get why they can't make a single piece that wraps around and molds to the phone.... Oh well I guess I can say this thing is doing it's job. I was having breakfast and a clumsy waiter spilled coffee creamer all over my phone and no damage to report I just wiped it off. And got a free mimosa out of it!