I'm not falling for "They'll update it later" again

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amblinman, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Amblinman macrumors regular

I remember when I got my 1st gen phone last year, I was excited over the device itself and the belief that "little stuff" like MMS and copy/paste would be patched in future updates.

Well, here we are looking at a brand spankin' new iteration of the iPhone, and STILL no mention of stuff like the above, along with a horizontal keyboard for email or texting, video capabilities, etc. I'm still holding out hope that these things will be available with 2.0 firmware, but if not - so long, iPhone. I'll wait till you provide a finished device.

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

honestly, I think apple is over MMS, they think email is the way to go and they will never change it

as for copy/paste and horizontal keyboards in every application, that is really just stupid, there is no reason to not include it

But then they are slowly progressing, we will soon have bulk move/delete for email

3. Amblinman thread starter macrumors regular

There is no good reason we didn't have mass delete right out of the box. This shouldn't be a big deal for a phone they want companies to roll out to their workforce. This is the stuff I find myself missing more than the ability to play Donkey Kong Jr on my phone.

4. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

MMS is a pretty big deal in Europe. This phone is worldwide, not just for America, so what's the norm there doesn't mean thats ok for the rest of us.

5. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but that's typical of us Americans only considering ourselves.

MMS
    Copy/Paste
    A2DP

These are 3 functions that no smartphone should be without. I kept telling myself that Apple was going to update the BT profile and give us A2DP. Now that they've released the info for the 3G iPhone and A2DP isn't included, I am sure they won't add it in a firmware update for us 1st gen users either.

I love my iPhone to death, but I must say that I am very close to selling it and getting another phone instead. :mad:
    The only thing keeping me in the fold right now is Mobile Me.

6. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

i am waiting to see what they do. I doubt they will do anything about any of these must haves for a smart phone. so i am sad to say, i do not think i will be getting an iphone. i am also not liking at&t, coworkers do not even get service in my work building. Does not seem like a good choice.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I agree with you on all that stuff but it really is completely independent of this new 3G iPhone, and the 2.0 upgrade too since any of those features could easily be added at any time. It's annoying, but I'd say they just haven't gotten around to it yet with all the other crap they are spinning their wheels on right now.

I do wonder about copy/paste though, I have a suspicion someone high up *cough*Steve*cough* may have a philisophical block against it, I hope I'm wrong about that. Hopefully they'll eventually tire of the griping and relent.

8. bbydon macrumors 6502a

couldn't you just use IM to send pictures when it comes in july...
    i don't, im just taking a guess as to why no MMS

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

MMS is a big deal in America too. So Europe and America are the same.

So, uh...what's your point?

10. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Quite a few people on this forum like to go on and on about how MMS is dead, he was probably referring to them. :confused:

11. SleepingSicknes macrumors member

the only reason i'd use MMS would be to send mobile pictures to facebook, but now i can do it with e-mail.

12. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Most of the people that I would send a picture to have iPhones, so I just e-mail. I have only wanted to use MMS a few times to send pics to non iPhoners. I guess it's just their loss for not having an iPhone! It was a fun picture....:) LOL! MMS would be nice, but not a deal killer for me. I would love copy and paste though!

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You forget that ATT or another carrier can just right an app for MSS. They will probably have to wait until Sept. for Apple's push service for background apps.

14. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Yes, but the point is people, that we're being fed a cock-n-bull story. It isn't about the fact that I may never use MMS, or that copy/paste is only mildly useful, and that A2DP is the only real gripe I have with the iPhone.

These are features that come on phones that you can get out of Cracker Jack boxes for Pete's sake! Apple is supposed to be the cool, quasi-unorthodox company that is changing the game. From where I'm sitting, with this iPhone hype that is more like a stale fart than winds of change, they don't seem any different than the other manufacturers out there. Well, except for the fact that they're trying to pass off the "we're hip" vibe.

15. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I don't get it. Is there some inherent vulnerability to cut-paste buffering in a mobile device environment? Otherwise what's the big deal unless just some arcane argument is still happening about committing to universal shortcuts in the "gesture" universe. And in that case, duh, put a command key on the virtual keyboard and be done with it for now.

Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee. That's how I feel every time I run into the fact that cut and paste is still not there. I was about to go look if I've missed some purchasable upgrade...

16. Rigsby macrumors regular

Maybe they are being 'quasi-unorthodox' by not including things like MMS.

I'm with the 'don't care' crowd on this, despite being European, I've sent three or four MMS messages in my life and can't say I've ever missed it since I got an iPhone.

Personally I think Apple are ahead of the curve and changing the game on this one; by having a decent web-browser and, soon, the App Store people will be increasingly using social networking tools rather than MMS and wondering what they saw in it.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

By whom, exactly?

Please name ONE article, statement or quote where someone at Apple has officially said "Yes, we're going to include MMS in a future release." Just ONE.

The fact is, people on this forum and other forums like it created their own bull. And then they ate it.