I'm not getting email notifications right away

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tmurray315, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Tmurray315 macrumors regular

Hi guys I have a question so I have my gmail set up on iPad but it seems to never notify me when I receive a new email. I never get an icon saying I have new mail the only way I notice is when I log into email and it says I have new email? Do you guys have the same problem??

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

How did you set Gmail up on your iPad? Did you use the Exchange server settings?

3. TheNewEra macrumors newbie

4. Tmurray315 thread starter macrumors regular

I have it set to push and manually do I switch it to 15 or 30 min

5. arterio macrumors member

The default Mail App doesn't support push for gmail on iPhone and iPad. You need to go into the advanced account settings and set it to fetch every x minutes. You can set this to 15 or 30. Whatever you prefer.

6. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

7. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Push email notifications are not immediate on iOS devices like they are on, say for example, a Blackberry. That is because RIM has patents and servers for instant push emails. However, iOS devices do get it pretty damn close to instant, but it has to go and fetch the data in order to bring it to you, whereas Blackberries have a dedicated server that does that for its devices.

That was one of the few perks Blackberries had over iOS devices, but the bad outweighed the good on those things.

8. Tmurray315 thread starter macrumors regular

How do you set it up as exchange so in order to get email go into setting and put i on fetch instead of push whats exchange

9. arterio macrumors member

Wow... Where'd you get that load of crap?

If you have an iOS device setup on an Exchange server for push mail it is instant. My work email uses an Exchange server. There are numerous times where I'll be sitting at my desk with my Outlook client open and I'll get an email pushed to my phone before it shows up in my Outlook client. Same goes for meeting reminders and task reminders sometimes. My phone will get the notification before my desktop will.

Right now the only email that is guaranteed to be instant Push on BB is their own BB servers. If you go onto any other email, hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc, you won't have that guarantee.

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Exchange is the end-all-be-all of push e-mail. To set up Google sync/Exchange mode for Gmail, you should set up an Exchange account and the server is m.google.com. When your Gmail shows up, it will be push e-mail.

If you want a really great e-mail/PIM service, hosted exchange is just as good as a corporate exchange. It really makes communication instant like Blackberries of the past. Blackberry BES also functions off of exchange too.

11. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

12. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I had 4 email providers sent to my Blackberry when I had it (AOL, GMail, Yahoo, and BB) and all of them were instant, all without using exchange servers. I don't have a need in using an exchange server, nor can I or want to use my mobile device to receive my work emails (I'm military and thats not allowed). However, using just regular Yahoo sent to my iPhone is enough for me now. Many times I get emails on my phone well before they show up on Yahoo's website, but not always. Many times it takes forever for them to show up on my iPhone.

As for Blackberry's patents, Im pretty sure I read them on Engadget somewhere.

13. Tmurray315 thread starter macrumors regular

How do i set up my email and exchange very confused about this

14. arterio macrumors member

This is awesome!! Thanks for the Gmail exchange tip. Had no idea. It works great.

15. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Here's the step by step:

1. Settings
    2. Mail, Contacts, Calendar
    3. Add Account
    4. Microsoft Exchange
    5. type in your Gmail address
    6. type in your Gmail username and password
    7. Press Next
    8. It will fail retrieving the first time so it will then display server
    9. Enter m.google.com into the server space
    10. Press next
    11. Make sure Contacts, Calendar, and Email are all on.
    12. Press Finish.

Voila! You're set up!

16. indigosierra macrumors newbie

:cool:
    Thank you both!

17. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

18. simplekid macrumors member