Im not getting wi-fi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jman9090, May 1, 2009.

1. jman9090 macrumors newbie

I cant figure out whats wrong its either my netgear (WGR614v9) my computer (Windows 98) or the ipod touch. Heres what happens i go to the wifi setting touch username put the password in and after about 5-8 seconds it says unable to connect.

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Try (temporarily) turning off encryption on the WGR614 and see if you can connect. I would suspect that the settings for encryption may have to be adjusted. Are you using WEP or WPA?

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Sometimes when I am setting up a new device and have issues, I set the wireless router to the dumbest settings (all security off) and flip them on one by one to see if it takes.

4. jman9090 thread starter macrumors newbie

im using WPA but if i disable the setting the router wont be giving off any signal

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

You can't turn off security settings because it doesn't give signal?
    This sounds like a router issue to me. I have never seen a router/access point that can't do unsecured wireless.

And I have the WGR614 (v4). It operates fine without security settings.

6. jman9090 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks for he help

7. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Now, I don't want to suggest that you operate it without security on a permanent basis, but use it to diagnose where the incompatibility is as SilentPanda suggested. Resetting it to it's defaults, turning off security is just step one.

GL!